prologue | read me

isabella lanvin

It's time.

I looked at the building in front of me, feeling my chest start to tighten. I wouldn't be this nervous when it comes to stuff like this. I've done this multiple times, and I needed to get a grip. However, my leg started to bounce with anxiety instead.

Glancing at the building once more, I get out of the cab to walk straight into the building. Pushing on the jewel in my ring that started to flash red, I took a deep breath, realizing what I had just done. There's no going back now.

Holding my bags in each of my hands, I felt my nerves start to calm when I knew what I had to do and why I was here.

I see them in the lobby, causing me to take one last breath and put on a fake smile.

"Carolina Blanchet! It's so nice to meet you finally!" A woman with blonde hair dressed head to toe with designer said as she hugged me. "We couldn't be more excited to be your host family!"

I hugged her back in response. I pulled back from the hug to see her family smile back at me.

The woman continued to speak, "oh, hun! Give your bags to James; he'll put them in your room."

Without I could say anything else, a man took my bags out of my hands and went straight to the elevator. I watched him leave with my prized processions, but I couldn't say anything. I swallowed the lump in my throat and turned to the family in front of me.

"I'm Lyla Davis, and this is my husband, Greg Davis," Lyla said, glancing at the man next to her. Greg reached over to shake my hand. His features mirrored the same as Lyla, except he had green eyes and brown hair.

Once I finished shaking his hand, Lyla continued as she glanced at two teenagers next to her. "These are our children, Juliana and Lucas."

Both of them had very similar features towards their parents. Lucas had Lyla's eyes and the hair color of Greg. He was taller than the women of his family but an inch shorter than his father. He was wearing a simple sweater, jeans, and a pair of converse, making me see a glance at Lucas's personality based on his outfit choice.

They both gave me a small smile when I set my eyes on them.

Juliana's outfit, however, was similar to her brother but showed her personality. Wearing an oversized hoodie with leggings, converse, and a full face of makeup allowed me to know how Juliana is as a person. Though Juliana had her father's eyes, her hair was almost a faded pink towards the edges, with a gold nose ring displayed on her face.

"You hungry? We were talking of getting a bite to eat," Greg said, looking at his watch.

I nodded, "yeah, it sounds okay."

Lyla smiled at my response, "good because we already called the driver to pick us up."

I watched as the parents started to head out of the building so effortlessly, causing my eyebrows to frown. My father did not prepare me for this.

I started to hear Juliana and Lucas chuckle next to me.

"I told you they would do that, Jules."