12

ততততততততততততততততততততততততYear 20 (part 2)

Year 20
(part 2)

Christmas Eve Eve

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you," you ask as you lean on your door frame. Namjoon shuffles around as he tries to balance his rolling luggage as well as his backpack. What a dork.

"I'm good, kid," he smirks, hoisting the strap higher before squatting down to pet an eager Promise in between your legs. She whimpers, tapping her feet on the tiled floor, most likely sensing that he's leaving. And you're not too far from doing the same, not thrilled at all about spending your first Christmas alone.

You have to admit that it felt nice coming home to someone after work. You just wish it could be with the person you loved.

"I can stay another day if you'd like," he says, noticing you lost in thought, "you shouldn't be alone on Christmas."

You shake your head in response. "You should go back. They need you a lot more than I do."

He frowns, suddenly sullen about something other than leaving for his flight. Reaching out for a friendly squeeze of his shoulder to get his attention back on you, you offer him a reassuring smile yet his own shows no signs of returning.

"Kid..." he starts, serious as he allows his backpack to slide off and land on the floor with a thud. His eyes pierce your confused ones, scanning his face for a hint of reason behind his change of mood.

"Are you okay?"

He comes closer, grabbing both of your hands before he sighs. "Yeah...just you shouldn't be alone on Christmas."

"You already said that Joon-"

"No," he's quick to cut you off, squeezing your hands softly to get you to refocus. "Jungkook shouldn't have left you alone. You deserve better."

The words slip so easily off of his tongue, you wonder if he's been reciting them for years. He licks his plump lips as you wait for his eyes to turn into slits or for a dimple to pop out. Anything that might indicate that he's joking. But nothing ever comes.

"Where is this coming from?"

"A real man doesn't leave his girlfriend for 6 months and pass up the opportunity to come see her earlier."

"I said I was fine, Namjoon."

There's a glint in his pupils that you hadn't noticed before, something that shines every time he looks at you. Maybe it's because you were never paying attention. Namjoon is silent, the tension between you two so foreign and, frankly, awkward that you're forced to take a step back.

The feeling of your hands slipping out of his snaps Namjoon back to reality, a harsh reality he seemed to forget over the last couple of weeks of playing house with you. You will never feel as comfortable holding his hand as he will holding yours.