Chapter 3: A Bell

*******

"Isabella" my boss says, looking at me with a pokerface. I take a deep breath, preparing myself for his reaction.
"That's... How long did you prepare for this presentation?" he asks.
"Weeks. A long time" I say in a nervous voice, even I can hear it.
He nods and looks at the papers infront of him. For a long time, there's completely quiet. I can hear the clock in the background. Tik tik tik tik.

"I'm impressed. There's no better way to describe it," he says, and looks up at me.
I bite my lip to hold back a bright smile, and try to remain serious, "really?"
He smiles, finally, "Yes. I really am. You deserve a Christmas holiday after this – but when you come back, we'll definitely start this idea. Right away. Those hardworking weeks haven't been wasted!" he says, smiling bigger.

I let out of a sigh, smiling, "thank you. I'm so glad to hear that!"

******

After a long day with "congratulations" from colleagues, I feel tired. It was a long, exhausting day, and I need to go home, have a relaxing bubblebath and drink hot cocoa. As I step out of the taxi, I hear a little chime. So quietly, that I'm not even sure I really hear it.

I follow the sound, thinking about if I have gone crazy. Or maybe too tired. I take some steps in the direction, then start walking faster.
"Merry Christmas, young lady", I hear.
I turn around and see the man from this morning, in Santa costume. That's some long workhours, I have to admit. From early morning until late night.

"Feeling any magic in the air?" he smiles. I notice he has brown, gentle eyes, behind the big white beard.

"Magic?" I ask, looking down at my ribbon, that still glitters. "I suppose... I did well at work today..."
He laughs, a laugh that includes both ha ha and ho ho.
"Oh that," he says, "you didn't need any magic or glitter for that. You had prepared well"
"Wait – how do you know?" I ask, stepping one step back.
He smiles again, nodding at the ribbon, "no, the magic you need is for something entirely else"
"What do you mean?" I whisper.

"You may not see it yourself – but the one true love is very near you" he smiles.
Love? I'm not in a relationship, and no one has shown any interest in who knows how long.
"In fact, it has been close to you for a long time... two years, I would say" he smiles knowingly.
"Who are you?" I ask, starting to feel scared.
"Santa, of course!" he says loudly.
He winks once and the ribbon starts glittering even brighter. 

******