Chapter 1: Summer begins

"Boarding flight D17, New York City- all passengers to gate D17. Boarding flight D17..." Hermione Granger, the brains of the Golden trio, stood beside her best friends in the London airport. Scarcely 3 weeks before they had triumphed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and brought peace to the Wizarding world. Though, she thought internally, Harry insisted it was a team effort.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" She turned to the raven haired boy, who stared at her worriedly, though he hid his anxiety with a well placed hug. He had been rather protective of her ever since the incident at Malfoy manor, the word mudblood  left as a permanent reminder on her arm. "Oh, don't be such a worrywart!" A chirpy voice answered, Ginevra Weasley's voice ringing out through the building. She turned to her boyfriend and rolled her eyes. "This is Hermione we're talking about- of course she'll be alright!" She grinned. 

Hermione gave a smile of her own before reaching down for her bag. "I just wish Ron could have been here," she said wistfully. Ginny smiled and nodded understandingly. "I know- but Chudley cannons have tryouts for a new keeper and you know how he is with Quidditch. Not to mention that mum's onto him to get top marks in 8th year."

Hermione chuckled, feeling the mood rise in the air. "Thank god McGonagall decided to let us back for another year- I'd love to see Hogwarts again." "Me too- not to mention the food's a big bonus." Harry piped up. She laughed and turned as Ginny cuffed him around the head.

She was going to spend the summer in New York City with her favourite (though she would never tell them, she'll never hear the end of it) cousins. Apparently they were shooting a movie edition of Lin Manuel Miranda's Hamilton, named after one of the founding fathers of America. They needed help with stage props and directions, and since many of their members graduated the year before, needed as many sets of hands as possible. She smiled at the though of seeing Catherine and Emma again, and accepted the packet of peanuts from the flight attendant as she sat down.

---*---*---🌸---*---*---

At 8 o' clock the next morning, Hermione found herself in the bustling lobby of the New York airport. Grabbing her bags, she texted Emma and sat, stretching to rid her legs of jet lag. She had just begun to dose off when she heard her name being screamed across the din.

She stood and turned, just in time for her youngest cousin to barrel into her arms. She laughed, spitting out a lock of frizzy brown hair as she returned Emma's embrace. "I can't believe you're here!" She squealed excitedly. "You'd better," a soft voice replied. " 'Cause she's stuck with us for the rest of the summer." Catherine gave her signature side smile and perched her sunglasses further up her head. "Good to see you again, 'Mione." She held out a thermos of hot tea. "Wanna get out of here?" She grinned, accepting with a thanks. "Thought you'll never ask."

And so she found herself in her cousins' black sedan, listening to Emma belt out the lyrics to the songs on the radio as Catherine drove. 

The two sisters were almost polar opposites; both physically and emotionally. Emma was, as she constantly reminded her, 17 ¾ years old, and with her bubbly, happy-go-lucky attitude, she liked to make herself heard- which was why she was a definite go to when in need of a loud drama role. 

Catherine, on the other hand, greatly resembled the moon; the eye of her sister's storm. She was around a year senior, her birthday coming up in September, and had jet black hair and silvery blue eyes in contrast to Emma's light brown and bright green. She was the more subdued sister, though she would always stand up for herself and others. At first glance, the difference is so large it's almost impossible to discern that the two are even the same blood; save for the identical mischievous gleam in their eyes.

She blinked out of her revery twisted to avoid Emma's flailing hands and turned to the window, popping in her own earbuds and dosing until they arrived at Catherine's apartment.

---*---*---🌸---*---*---

If you want to make suggestions, you can contact me at FreshwaterKelpie@gmail.com, or simply tell me in the comments below.
- Toodles, Kelpie