The tale of a scared girl

"I remember it now, it takes me back to when it all first started.
But I've only got myself to blame for it, and I accept it now.
It's time to let it go, go out and start again.
But it's not that easy.

But I've got high hopes, it takes me back to when we started.
High hopes, when you let it go, go out and start again.
High hopes, when it all comes to an end.
But the world keeps spinning around."

Song: High Hopes - Kodaline

++++++

"Anything besides the tea?" The waitress asked as they sat at a small café that Harry took Emma to

"Could I get a glass of water?" Harry asked, smiling pleasantly at the woman, but Emma noticed that the smile never reached his eyes.

"Sure thing. Anything for you, dear?" She asked. Emma shook her head slowly. She just really wanted the lady to get lost.

"I'll bring that right over," she said, smiling genuinely at Harry.

"Thank you," he said, giving her a nod as she hurried off.

Their eyes connected from across the table and Emma knew both of them had so much they wanted to say, but neither of them knew how to start the conversation or even begin to express the things that were pent up inside of them. And before they could get any words out, the waitress was back, bringing Harry his water.

"Just let me know if I can get you two anything else," she said, smiling at them.

"Will do," Harry told her. She nodded and hurried off once again.

"Emmy," he breathed.

At the sound of her nickname on his tongue, her vision fell to her hands wrapped around the tea cup.

"Nobody ever calls me that," she said quietly.

"From what I remember, nobody but me ever did call you that," he added.

"True," she said, nodding her head lightly.

"How long has it been?" He asked. Emma's eyes lifted up to his again.

She knew exactly how long it had been. It was the Christmas of her final year of high school – that was the last time she saw him. She was home on Holiday and she was out getting some last minute groceries for her mother before the stores closed on Christmas Eve. Running into Harry at the supermarket was not expected, but his mum had the same needs as her own mother and they nearly crashed into each other down the canned goods aisle.