02.

kuroo's POV

i stood at kenma and i's normal meeting spot for our morning walks to school, patiently waiting for him to show up. he tended to be a little late sometimes, claiming he slept in, which i definitely believe.

he was late again this morning, no big deal. i was fine with waiting for him, the rest of the team can also stand to wait a little bit.

more time passed, no kenma. i started to wonder if he was still asleep.

i waited even longer, still no sign of him.

the longer i waited, the more my thoughts stretched into assuming the worst. i was quite paranoid when it came to him, maybe a little overprotective, but i didn't see it as a problem. at least, not until it started causing me to completely overthink small situations like this.

by this point it was definitely out of the ordinary for kenma not to be there already, and i was considering whether or not to head to his house, since he wouldn't answer his texts.

i decided to head over. i knew where he lived, i remembered the route.

he'll definitely be mad. i thought.

as i approached the house, i could hear some sounds coming from it. i couldn't make out what exactly they were, but it didn't sound good.

i hesitantly knocked on the door and said "is kenma home?" as politely as i could.

the sounds stopped for a brief moment.

i heard i few more noises, before the door opened, and kenma stormed right past me, immediately slamming the door before i could even comprehend what had just happened.

i turned around and ran after him as fast as i could.

"kenma! what was that? w..what just happened?" i asked a bit aggressively, and he, of course, completely ignored me.

"kenma!" i said, stepping in front of him to stop him from walking away.

his head was down, and he had his arms crossed tightly, as if he was hugging himself. he took a few steps backwards, as his legs began to tremble.

"come here, let's sit down."

we walked to a nearby bench and sat silently for a minute or two.

kenma's POV

this is the worst. everything is going wrong. he's not supposed to know, why couldn't i have just escaped like usual, why did i have to let her get to me, i'm a fucking idiot.. why didn't he just go to school instead of coming over, now he knows everything, stupid kuro.. fuck. he's seeing me weak. stop crying. please stop crying. please calm down.

my thoughts were an absolute mess. i could feel kuro's eyes on me, he was obviously extremely concerned. this was exactly what i'd been trying to avoid for so long.

"please talk to me. i'm here for you, you know?" he said softly.

i knew he was there for me. i knew i was overreacting, and that he would be understanding and try to help me. i didn't know why i didn't want him to know about what was happening. why is it so hard to say? just spit it out, kenma. i thought.

"m-m-my.. my m-mom..." was all i managed to get out. i think kuro could tell i was clearly struggling.

say it. say it. say it. i kept thinking.

and just like that, it all spilled out.

"my mom is physically and verbally abusive a-and she was trying to hurt me as a punishment for what she claims as me 'trying to leave her again', okay! that's what happened!" i suddenly yelled.

everything went silent. why, why, why, why-

my thoughts immediately stopped when i noticed kuro's head turned, his eyes watering as he stared at me in disbelief.

i just hung my head and cried. i didn't know what to do, what to say...

kuro suddenly reached out, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into a tight hug. i barely had the strength to hug back, and so i only cried into his shoulder as he gently rubbed my back.

"how long has this been happening?"

"i-i can't even-n remember..."

my mind was telling me that i shouldn't have told him, but why did it feel so much better to have finally gotten that off of my chest?

he then pulled away from the hug, and cupped my face in his hands, in a way forcing me to show my disgusting, tear-stained face. i hated showing my face, especially while i was upset and crying, but i was left with no choice. kuro looked me dead in the eye, with genuine pain in his eyes.

"kenma, i need you to know that you are not alone. i know it's hard for you to express your feelings, but please, don't hold back things that are bothering you, especially something of this degree. i am here for you, okay?" he said without hesitation.

i only cried harder. his words hit me like a train.

those words have never been told to me, at least not by anyone but kuro.

i finally felt the strength to move, and so i fell back into his arms, hugging him as i sobbed into his jacket.

"it's gonna be okay. i'm gonna do everything i can to make sure you're safe." kuro said softly.

i cowered behind kuro like a child hiding behind their parent. we had just arrived at the school gym for volleyball practice, and i could feel everyone's eyes on kuro and i, since we were so late.

"sorry about the late arrival! something came up, at least we're both here now!" kuro said.

i took a shaky deep breath. my main concern was someone on the team noticing how red and swollen my eyes and nose were from crying. i knew that if lev or inuoka saw, they'd be the ones to yell it out, and let everyone else know. so, i avoided them.

i didn't know what to expect the rest of the day to be like, let alone the next couple of months.

i just hoped to god things would end well.

yeah i jumped right into the angst HSJCHS but i hate writing filler chapters and i wanted to get to it fast

i hope u are enjoying the story!!! im excited to write more :D