Chapter I | Travellin' Prayer

今言った、この歌は奇妙に思えます。 祈る方法がわからないからです。

"What the... how did I become this popular?"

Kousei Arima, a classical pianist, was shocked at how he saw himself at the TV, performing his most imperfect piano performance yet.

In other news, millions from around Japan are becoming fans of a classical pianist named Kousei Arima. Last year, he didn't make it to the topnotchers of the Eastern Japan Piano competition. During his performance, his way of playing was missing some major key points, were out of tempo, or have been playing the wrong keys.

Purists disagreed of his gaining popularity, to which his growing supporters argued that music shouldn't be treated as another piece of art that is furnished by strict rules. Music is a free form of art that is meant for everyone. Freedom should be prioritized before perfection.

To this day, Kousei Arima's whereabouts are unknown, but sources say that he went into a hiatus from classical music to pursue personal endeavours.

"What? How did I.... that was a year ago." Kousei said to himself. Afterwards, somebody knocked at the door. It was Tsubaki, Kousei's lifelong friend.

"Hi, Kousei! I saw you on the newspaper! You're being tracked down!" Tsubaki jokingly said. This gave Kousei some fear of his face being all over the news. "I did not ask for this! How the heck did I...?"

"Probably because of the committee. They released the archives of every performance ever, even the winners and losers... on the internet. Maybe when they saw you bashing the keys out of timing and like a freaking maniac, that... triggered something?" Tsubaki said.

"Huh? T- That's not possible... I was off-tune during the whole performance. And that was such a terrible way to express!" Kousei said. "Firstly, the ornamentation... the tempo... the anacrusis.... and.... they're too staccato."

Tsubaki tilted her head a few degrees, being aware that she doesn't know what he's talking about. "U... huh... I agree." Kousei then shrugged. "It shouldn't have been there to begin with."

"So... what are you going to do now? You obviously cannot go outside without being seen by everyone." She asked. Kousei, confused with the quick turn of events, started to get scared. "Umm... disguise? You have some kind of glasses with a moustache under it?" She shook her head, surprised that Kousei's asking about that. "Why would I have that?"

"Umm... that's how people disguise themselves, right?" Kousei said, still positive about the glasses. "Well... yes, but actually no." She said out of utter confusion. "Besides, we only see that on cartoons. Just wear a scarf. Only people will notice your rugged hair, but a lot of people... have rugged hair, so... maybe it'll work!" She clarifies in a happy tone of voice.

"Wait, do I even have rugged ha- oh yeah... hope this works." Afterwards, he tried to go outside to buy something at the grocery, and sure it was safe out there. He just wanted to have a peaceful life, not ever going back to the spotlight again.

As he entered the cold establishment, people were eyeing at him. Kousei grew more and more nervous as he walks around getting his food with people just staring right at him. He knew the people there were piano purists.

"You screwed up that performance like it's your moment, boy. Since when did anyone tell you to express yourself in a way that scuffs your whole damn performance. Music is art, boy, and you'll never reach those heights because you messed up. What will your mother say up in the heavens about this?" One of the patrons explicitly told him.

Kousei couldn't say anything, because he, too, felt bad for his performance. But this was the way that he took. He couldn't even say sorry to everyone... and to himself. It was sure that they're getting to his head. Until he tried to think of Kaori, the person who brought him into a free world.

When he bought what he wanted at the grocery, he walked out trying not to hear the voices of the mean purists. He went home to his house. "Tadaima." He said. Tsubaki greeted him.

"I was marred by old people at the store." Kousei said, still trembling. "Hmm? Why? What's wrong?" She asked him.

"They were telling me that I won't be a true pianist. Being free ruins tradition." Kousei said.

"Screw them." She said, to which Kousei asked to say it again. "Screw them, Kousei. These people won't care for you no matter what happens. Even if you're all but alone in this world, even if you perfected something, or even if you made things worse than it is... in the end, no one will help." Tsubaki said to him.

"Tsubaki... where is this coming from?" He was confused. "Kousei, do not mind these people. If everyone turns their back on you, remember that I will always stay by your side." She said, so much to Kousei's surprise.

"Oh... T- Thank you, that meant a lot to me." Kousei said, giving her his smile.

That night, Kousei watched as his name trends all over his area in Japan. This gave him stress as he wasn't prepared. He's still unsure whether to continue being anonymous or break his silence.

My hands don't even have magic. What did I do to deserve this? Although this is what I wanted, this is too much. I'm concerned for myself and for everyone else around me. Should I step out and make my remarks, but if I become increasingly popular, would that topple my priorities for them? Is this what Kaori would've wanted?

He said to himself. Suddenly, he heard familiar voice beside him.

"Took you long enough to notice." Kousei saw beside him - lady in white dress, blonde hair, and a soothing smile. "Hi, Kousei... it's been a while."

"K- Kaori!? But... I thought you were gone?" He tried to clean his glasses, but it was really her. "I- Is this a dream? Is that... really you?"

"Hmph. You're still the clumsy guy that I know, I suppose. So how are you doing?" Kaori said.

"Oh well... somehow I became popular after my piano performance. Though many perfectionists are coming after me because of it..." Kousei said, while holding a glass of water. "I'll be dead if I ever leave the house."

"I know that. I told you before - music transcends words. It's a free system where anything can happen. That's just the way it is." She said.

"But... I do not know if I should stay silent forever or go out. I'm concerned for everyone close to me..." He put the empty glass on his coffee table.

"It's up to you, Kousei. It's okay if you should stay silent if that's what you want. But you can always go out and take on the unexpected opportunity. I wasn't able to do that when I had my say. The bow of my violin against the strings wasn't loud enough for everyone to hear. It was you who received my lifelong dream of being heard."

"Kaori..." He slowly muttered. "I couldn't thank you enough, but I was gone before I could even say a thing." She further said.

Kousei held both of her hands and enclosed them with his. "Kaori... I swear, I'll make sure our music will be heard, with or without rules. I will find a way, even though it's thick."

Kaori then suddenly hugged him, and tears started falling down her cheeks. "Thank you, Kousei. You... really are something else." She said, then he also started to shed a tear.

Kousei's phone rang... and she was gone. He wiped off the tears on his cheeks and picked up his phone. "Moshi moshi?" He said.

"Good evening. Is this Mr. Kousei Arima? I work for the Parlogram Records... we need to talk."

Kousei didn't expect someone from a big record company was going to call him.

"Umm... yes. This is Arima. What can I do for you?" He said.

"We've been watching you ever since your performance at the Eastern Japan Piano Competition. Your piano skills would make a great asset to the company and for yourself as a skill that'll guide you in the years to come. We at Parlogram Records would like to sign you up into our company. We will make you a great artist, and you'll also benefit from it. You'll be engraved within the catalogs of music." The agent tried to convince Kousei into becoming an artist for them.

"Uhh...." Kousei couldn't utter a word. He looked back at his achievements, trying to imagine the benefits of it if he ever sign up. "For Kaori..." He said to himself. "I'll do this for... everyone I love. For Kaori..."

"Alright..."

to be continued.