The bitterness of war

Arjun POV

I knock on Jyesth's door nervously, I was going to talk to him about Vrishketu... The logical part of me knew he'd be thrilled but at the same time I was scared... I needed this to work... he opens the door almost immediately bringing me out of my thoughts, and smiles a little when he sees me. "Arjun! What happened? You seem excited?" He asks seeing my own bright smile.

"Yes jyesth, I have something to talk to you guys about," I say as he lets me in.

Sahdev is already sitting there, I assume they were talking about some work for the kingdom and I sit down with them. The room is cluttered with papers and files and scrolls, I'm not surprised with Jyesth just taking the throne, especially after a huge war he had endless work...

"What's the news anuj? That has you so happy," Jyesth says sitting back down, Dev looks up from his notes and almost looks shocked to see me smiling.

"Well... that's new!" He laughs. I roll my eyes.

"It's important! Where're bhrata Bheem and Nakul?" I ask, Dev shrugs.

"I'm not sure, let me call for them!" Jyesth says and goes to the door to call a guard, I sit there impatiently as he tells the guard to call bhrata Bheem and Nakul.

"What's so important that you're dying to tell all of us bhaiya?" Dev says putting away the files and notes scattered across the table. I shook my head and continued waiting. Jyesth and Dev asked me again but I didn't say anything, wanting everyone to be here before we talk about this... I can see dev get impatient but I ignore it enjoying him getting frustrated.

Before long Nakul and Bhrata Bheem knocked on the door and jyesth opened it. "Now for the love of god can you just tell us what it is!!" Dev says and I chuckle at his impatience.

"Ok ok! Everyone sit and listen! This is important and no interrupting me!" I said looking particularly at Nakul. He rolls his eyes.

"Yeah"
"Sure"
"Just tell us!!" Voices go around the room and Jyesth just gestures me to continue.

"Ok so, I know I've been a tiny bit... sad... recently." Everyone's almost scoffs at the understatement but I ignore it and continue, "it's because I feel like I've made a huge mistake, killing someone who I didn't know was our brother... our jyesth... and I regret it but I think I found something to hopefully make up for what I did..." I say and silence befalls the room...

"First of all! It wasn't your fault! And I still don't know why you keep blaming yourself, you have nothing to make up for, you did your dharma but what kind of compensation are you talking about Jun?" Bhrata Bheem says with a serious expression everyone else kinda nods along.

"Vrishketu... jyesth Karn's son," I say with a smile and everyone kinda looks at eachother.

"What?! But all of his sons-"

"Died in the war? That's what I thought until Madhav told me that Vrishketu lived, he's only 14 too young to fight so he stayed here in hastinapur..." I say kinda quickly, excited and hopeful for they're reaction... no one reacts and for a second I'm almost scared of what they'll say...

Until Nakul gets up and hugs me with a smile, "we're gonna bring him here," he says. I smile widely and hug him back.

"We are! And I wanna make up for everything! Everything jyesth didn't have Vrishketu will! He will be the prince and I'm gonna treat him like my own son!" I say smiling and everyone looks at me and joins the hug bhrata Bheem practically crushing all of us.

"We all will anuj! Where is he? We shall visit him right away!" Jyesth says.

"He's living with his grandparents. And no! All of us aren't visiting him, I'm going alone, and in a disguise... he hates us jyesth, he won't react well to all of us going to visit him." I say, everyone nods but Devs expression changes to concern...

"You're going to lie to him bhaiya?" Dev asks worried.

"I have no choice dev, he won't listen if I go as myself. I didn't want to myself! But Madhav told me it was the only way..." I say, he looks worried but nods not arguing against it knowing Madhav won't be wrong...

"When will you go see him?" Nakul asks.

"Now! I just needed you guys to agree! I already talked to Panchali and Subhi," I say...

Vrishketu POV

Laksh and I walked down the street going towards the market, I'm kinda annoyed after our conversation at the house and I can tell Laksh knows because he's practically walking on eggshells around me trying to cheer me up, I chuckle at another one of his lame jokes and he smiles.

"How many stupid jokes will you tell Laksh? I told you na? I'm fine! Pitamahi is just worried and I get it," I say and he rolls his eyes.

"Saying your fine and actually being fine are very different things and mind you I'm doing this for my own safety! I've seen your anger!" He says, I chuckle at his words.

"When is Lakshita coming?" I ask giving him a look.

He like always being over dramatic, gives me a betrayed look, "yes yes! You and you're girlfriend! You've made me the third wheel, I'm wounded Vrish! Wounded!"

"You and your drama! And she's not my girlfriend! She's your sister idiot!" I roll my eyes.

"Ok and? Come on you two are like teenagers with a crush when it comes to the other!" He says.

"Laksh I'm so sorry I have to be the one to tell you but... we are teenagers... we're 14!" I chuckle, he rolls his eyes.

"Ha ha very funny!" He says, "I'm talking about clichés! You're both clichés!"

"We are not!!" I exclaim.

This banter goes on for a while, us walking through the market chuckling and teasing eachother.

Before we know it, it's almost evening and as we're walking back towards the empty street I feel a stick get caught between my legs and before I can regain my balance I'm falling to the ground...

I fall down my elbows and knees scraped by the ground filled with small rough and sharp rocks. I look up to see the same man from a couple days ago... that man that was watching us at the practice ground...

"You son of a murderer!!" He exclaims.

................................................

Hey guys! I had exams I'm sorry 🤧 I'll update soon. I also updated A broken bond brothers so go check that out!

I'm sorry I love crushing hopes and dreams 🤣🤣 I win!! (ignore this it's a bet 😂) AkshuNim

Hope you liked the chapter! A cliffhanger I know 😂

Vote and comment!
💖💖💖💖💖