A new hope

Vrishketu POV

I woke up to sun rays on my face. I groaned turning away not wanting my peaceful sleep to be broken. Cuddling further into the blankets hoping the light would just go away, but it didn't... it somehow got brighter finally forcing me to get up and out of bed.

I sigh, it's been a couple of days since I got the news about mom... since the war ended... and now things were slowly but surely becoming just a little more normal.

I sat on the bed for a second staring blankly at the familiar room, dad's old room. I moved her after that night... made me feel closer to them.

"Good morning," I heard Pitamahi at the door.

"Morning," I said stretching.

"Come downstair, breakfast is ready," she said ruffling my hair with a warm smile.

"Hmm," I said as she left the room. Today will be a long day, the Pandavas will be returning to Hastinapur... and I honestly wanted no part in it.

After getting ready I got downstairs to see pitamahi and pitamah sitting down at the table waiting for me.

"Good morning pitamah," I said touching his feet.

"Good morning kiddo," he said gesturing me to sit down. I do and pitamahi immediately servers me breakfast.

"The Pandav Rajkumars will be returning today," Pitamah said looking at me.

"Hm, I heard..." I said not looking up from my breakfast, I know what he wanted but I really had no intention of meeting the murders of my father.

"They're gonna wanna see you Vrish," he said.

"I don't want to see them," I said finally looking.

"They're your family..." Pitamahi said looking at me with concern.

"You're my family! They're the people that killed my family," I said, getting up, "I'm not hungry,"

"Vrish!" Pitamah said.

"I'm going out for some practice and to see Laksh and Lakshita I'll be back by lunch," I said before leaving the house grabbing my bow and arrows.

"Vrish?" I heard Lakshita's voice the minute I reached our makeshift practice arena.

It was a small clearing in the forest not too far from our house, it was perfect. Small but just big enough to practice, private and quiet.

"Lakshi," I said trying to give her a smile but she just rolls her eyes.

"What happened this time?" She asked. She knows, she always knows. Lakshita, one of my best friends. We've done everything together since we were practically born. Her mother was my mother's best friend. And as I said she always knows when I do something stupid.

I sigh "Nothing," she just gives me a blank look and takes my bow from me.

"Hey! I was gonna use that!" I exclaimed trying to snatch it back but she just glares,

"You're not getting it back until you tell me." She said calmly.

"The Pandavas are coming back today... Pitamah wants me to meet them," I said giving in.

"Well did you say no?" I heard a voice behind me turning to see Laksh. Laksh was Lakshita's twin just a couple of minutes older and my other best friend. If Lakshita made me realize my mistakes Laksh was the one that supported me even when I was wrong.

"Of course I did!"

"Good! You don't need to see them!"

"Laksh don't encourage him!" Lakshita said scoffing.