four - etiquette for nobles

Number Eight: Lounge around in the palace's garden for an entire afternoon. 

Elise leisurely laid against jewel green grass, underneath a golden willow tree, and reached for another fruit pastry. 

"Miss," Margaret stood to the side, looking worried. "It's already been three hours... shouldn't we go inside? What if your skin gets sunburnt? And your dress... what about grass stains? Or if someone goes looking for you?"

"You're wound up too tight," Elise let out a long, slow breath, smiling lazily. She hadn't felt this relaxed in ages, even as a kid. 

Margaret was quiet. Of course she would be - typically, Elise was the one wound up too tight, wanting to do everything to please her father. 

Elise stretched her limbs, before sinking further down into the grass. Actually, she was a little disappointed. She'd been outside for only three hours. 

"Princess, your lesson with Madam Rosalind will start soon... I'm not even sure what time it is. Are you truly that adamant on not returning?" Margaret took a step towards Elise, ready to test if she was sick again. 

"Yes," Elise said. "Don't worry about it, Margaret. There's enough time."

There wasn't. Elise's internal clock told her that her class had already begun. 

Well, who cared? Madam Rosalind could go suck a... ahem, etiquette book. She was hoping for a way to get out of etiquette class anyways, if Madam Rosalind got sick of her and called it quits then that'd be all for the better. 

Elise was hoping to ditch most of her soon-to-be classes. As of right now, she was only enrolled in etiquette. Nonetheless the lessons all took up far too much time, with strict, harsh teachers lecturing about things she already knew from her past life. 

Madam Rosalind was at the top of her list. Elise's face darkened when she thought about how she treated her own wounds in silence. And to a young girl! Elise had mastered all forms of etiquette by the age of fourteen, but not without a price. 

"Another pastry," Elise said, and Margaret handed her a colorful fruit tart. 

Despite Margaret's horror, Elise stayed in the garden until the sun had fallen far beyond the horizon. By the time she started getting up, the garden was dark. 

"Miss!" Margaret exclaimed, eyes wide as Elise cracked her limbs and peeled herself off the grass. "Your class has got to be over by now! Madam Rosalind must have already left!"

"Perfect." Elise humphed, smiling merrily before heading towards the Garnet Palace. Her etiquette classes were usually long and dreary, but now she had the time to do whatever she pleased. The entire evening was left open. The next year, after turning seven, she'd start tutoring in various subjects so that would leave her less options... but at the moment Elise ran into her room with several thick, heavy books. 

The leather covers were embellished with beautiful golden lettering, making the texts appear very official. Elise waved a worried Margaret away as she slammed the book onto the table and opened it to the first, delicate page. 

The title was written across the top in swirly letters, making her eyes gleam. 

How to Master Magic.

———

ONE WEEK LATER

———

Elise squinted down at her list.

This one would do.