six - punishment and progress

Elise couldn't help but reflexively draw back as her father carefully stared at the injuries. "Did Noah do this?"

She pulled her hand back, although it hurt. "No! No, of course not!"

Her father leaned back into his seat, gaze cold and piercing. "Who did this? One of your maids? Someone in your castle?"

Elise held her hand, unable to look up. 

"You just said it was from sword practice. If not Noah, then who?"

Elise had no intention to tell him, after he dismissed her objections two weeks ago, but hearing the threat behind his voice made the words spill out. 

"It's not Noah!" She pleaded.

"Someone's going to have to take responsibility for damaging the empire's princess," her father said cooly, reaching for his tea.

"It's..." she held her hands in her lap, rage now burning in her like a flash fire. He was the one who refused to listen, and now he had the nerve to act worried? To threaten Noah, who acted like a better father figure than her own flesh and blood?

Elise picked up her napkin and threw it onto her plate. 

"It was Madam Rosalind, alright?" She turned her fierce gaze to her father, standing and making her chair screech back. "Madam Rosalind did this." She pushed her hands towards him, and let the bandage fall to the ground. The welts were clear to see, red puckers and swollen skin. "Madam Rosalind has been doing this for weeks."

Head clouded by anger, she stormed out of the greenhouse, not once looking back. 

***

Elise folded herself into the base of a knot of tree roots, wanting to disappear.

She was going to die. She was definitely going to die. Storming out of a royal luncheon? Yelling at the Emperor? Was she crazy?

Elise buried her face into her knees and screamed. Was dying once not enough? How could she possibly be this much of an idiot?

Nestled against her chest, her bruised hands shook. She tried to ignore it. Although she was mature in her temperament, this body still belonged to that of a child. Elise shakily began to heal the welts. 

By the time a few hours had passed, Elise's body was cold and aching. Gingerly, she peeled herself away from the tree, hands pink and raw but healed. When she eventually made her way to the Garnet palace, Margaret was waiting on the steps, eyes teary with worry.

"Princess!" She gaped, running out to Elise and inspecting her hands. "Princess, where have you been?" She knelt on her knees and hugged Elise, her tears soaking Elise's grass stained dress. "Princess, you're still young, your body is weak. Don't do this again!"

Elise absentmindedly patted Margaret on the back as she continued to sob. 

Eventually, Margaret picked herself back together and stood sheepishly, wiping away a stray tear. "I'm sorry for acting so uncouth," she murmured, looking regretful. Elise smiled lightly back up at her.

"It's fine, Margaret." Elise sighed while making her way back to her room. "I'm actually... happy you're worried for me." She hesitated before pushing open her bedroom door. It took all of Margaret's willpower to not burst into tears and hug the little princess again. 

"You're finally back."

Elise's blood ran cold. Her head snapped up, to see her father sitting at one of the couches situated in the middle of her room. Elise's gaze turned to Margaret, who looked just as surprised.