1. Early Spring

"Dear Mr. Whittaker, we regret to inform you that your prior literary submission has been denied by our board of reviewers. Positive notes were taken down over your work, which you can find on the additional paper included in the envelope, but the primary takeaway was that while your writing was enthralling, it is sadly not what our editors and investors are searching for at the moment. If you'd like, we have an online list of sister companies which you may find happy to publish you..."

A tired sigh escaped Elliott's lips as his eyes skimmed over the paper, rereading it once more in his mind.

Another rejection. He wasn't sure why it even surprised him at this point.

He'd spent the last year or so in the valley, taking all of his savings with him and leaving behind his rather comfortable lifestyle that'd been supported by his family. Within that span of time he'd managed to pen a short novel, something sweet and simple to get him on his feet in the literary world.

It had been his hope that a witty and fast-paced adventure story would catch the eye of publishers, but the results of all his submissions had shown just the opposite.

As of late he'd begun questioning himself and his creativity repeatedly. Had the markets shifted, or was he merely trailing behind? Did his writing lack the charm which interested avid readers? Perhaps he was far too confident in his abilities.

Before his train of thought could sink into self deprecation, an unfamiliar noise made his ears perk up. He strained to listen in, a crease in his brow as he picked up on what appeared to be;

"Singing?" he murmured, almost unsure as he asked himself the question.

Folding the letter, he tossed it aside onto his writing desk and promptly stood up, quickly walking over to the rickety window beside the beach cabin's front door. Pushing aside the tattered blinds, his eyes had to adjust to the sudden bright light which filled the room. "Oh my, it can't possibly be noon already, can it?" he asked aloud, peering up at the sun which seemed to be high in the sky.

Turning his attention back to the beach, his eyes skimmed over the shore to find the source of the singing from mere moments ago. It couldn't have been Willy, the voice had been far too feminine. He knew it couldn't have been Leah popping by for a visit either, it hadn't sounded like her. Perhaps it was that young lady in town, the blonde... Haley, is what he remembered her name to be. She'd visit the beach every once and a while with a camera.

Finally, his eyes landed on the unexpected guest- and once he saw who was standing near the docks he found himself with even more questions than before; for he absolutely did not recognize the woman who stood basking in the sunlight.

Though there was one thing he was certain of, and it was the fact that her presence enthralled him.

...

Despite it still being the early weeks of Spring, the clear sky and hot sun made Maria feel like it was any old Summer day. If it weren't for the freshly budding wildflowers or the cherry blossom trees in bloom, the warm front would've fooled her.

After five days of nonstop work at her newly acquired farm with her first successful harvest of parsnips, clearing land and meticulously tending for and watering crops, she was ready for a bit of a break. She was searching for an excuse to venture around town a bit more, and when she got a letter from a man named Willy inviting her to the beach she jumped on the opportunity.

She'd ditched the overalls, heavy gloves, and muddy boots that she'd been working in everyday since she arrived for an outfit which breathed far better; a simple white blouse, denim shorts, and flat footed sandals. All her tools had been left in the shed beside her house, the only item on her person was a small wicker basket to forage with in case she stumbled upon anything valuable in the forest on the way to and from the beach.