6. Progress

"Stop pecking your sister's eyes, you're going to be living in a coop together, violence isn't gonna settle your arguments. I should know, I had a college roommate."

Maria sighed as she looked down at the cloth-lined wooden box before her, desperately trying to get two young brown chicks to remain calm before she transported them to her farm.

"Is that the bigger one you're trying to wrangle over there? She was the first to hatch in her brood and has been a hassle since day one," Marnie chuckled as she walked behind the counter to ring up the livestock order.

It was a warm Spring day and in the four weeks since the Egg Festival Maria had made substantial progress on her farm. She'd managed to collect enough wood for Robin to build her a brand new silo and as well as a chicken coop. The coop had been built besides the rundown barn her grandfather once housed milk cows in, and she spent two days building fencing that enclosed both buildings to make a pasture for all her future animals to happily graze in. She had plans to rebuild the barn, but knew that was likely months away.

"Miss Maria! What're you gonna name those two chickens?" a cheery voice called out, and the farmer turned to see sweet little Jas running up to her, practically bouncing from excited curiosity.

Maria tapped her chin and put on an expression of deep thought before looking down at the little girl, "well, my cat is named Orion, which is a constellation. If I keep naming all my animals after constellations, I'm thinking I'll name the big one Cygnus and the smaller one Corvus."

"What're Cy-gus and Cor-vis?" Jas asked, confused.

The farmer laughed, "No no, Cygnus and Cor vus. They're both bird constellations, maybe someday I can bring you and Vincent stargazing so I can show you."

The young girl gasped before bounding over to Marnie, "Oh auntie, can I pleaseeee go look at the stars with Miss Maria? Please please please?"

"Jas, it's the middle of the day, I don't think you'll be seeing any stars. Other than the sun," a gruff voice pitched in.

Maria turned her head to see Shane stood in the doorway to the kitchen with a Joja Cola in hand. He eyed the farmer warily before letting out a huff of air and shuffling away into what she assumed was his bedroom.

She attempted to give him a quick hello as she rarely saw him outside the saloon drinking himself into a stupor every night, but the man clearly didn't want to be bothered as he walked away.

"I didn't mean nowwww Shane," the young girl called out as he shut the door, crossing her arms over her frilly purple dress, "Oh! But can I go with you to see the new coop, Miss Maria?"

She turned to look up at the farmer and give her the biggest puppy-dog eyes that Maria just couldn't say no to- luckily, she was saved by Marnie clicking her tongue and waggling her finger.

"Oh no, little missy. You've got weekend work from Miss Penny that I know you haven't finished, go on into your room while I finish selling these chicks," the rancher instructed.

Jas dropped her arms and pouted, but before leaving Maria squatted down to be eye level with the young girl. "Don't worry, I know that on clear nights during the summer we'll be able to see dozens of constellations in the sky. I'll take you stargazing then, yea? We can bring snacks and I'll show you how to map the stars," she promised, holding out her hand and extending her pinky finger.

A happy grin spread on the girl's face and she locked her pinky with Maria's while nodding her head quickly. Then with a giggle she twirled on her feet and skipped off to her room, hopefully to complete whatever homework Penny had left her.