14. Birthday Surprise

"... so it's thirty-five hundred gold for each night? Plus amenities... yeah...mhmm... yes, we'll be arriving tomorrow, that's Friday, and leaving on Sunday... we'll check-out in the evening... you can mark the reservation under Maria Ortiz... mhmm... yes, it'll only be two of us... alright, thank you so much... buh-bye"

Maria grins as she hangs up that call before tapping rapidly on her screen to pull up another contact- Elliott, who now in her list of contacts had a heart emoji next to his name, certifying that they were, in fact, in a relationship. When in high school Maria had seen countless other girls do the same on their own phones, and at the time she thought it silly, but now she understood. In her past relationships she'd never done so either, but something about Elliot was special.

Tapping the call button, she presses the phone up to her ear and waits for the writer to pick up.

One ring. Two rings-

"Hello?"

"Hiya honey," the farmer smiles, his new nickname rolling off of her tongue easily, "I know this is sudden but you think we could meet up later today? I've got some news to tell you about."

"Of course, dearest. I don't have any calls or plans for the day, we can meet at any time," he replies quickly.

"Good. Ummmm, swing by my farm some time this evening? I've just been helping Robin with some final preparations on the new barn, it should be done this weekend," she says with a grin.

Elliott chuckles, "that's wonderful news. I'll be sure to pay you a visit later today then. See you soon, dear."

"See you soooon~" Maria replies with a giggle.

Tapping her screen once more, she hangs up the call and pockets her phone before walking out of the farmhouse to walk across her land. The crops were all growing nicely, with rows of sprouts and leaves taking form. The trees all around Pelican town were darkening into red, brown, and orange hues, and the berry bushes in the forest and mountain were showing signs of budding blackberries that'd be ripe within the new few weeks.

The newest project Maria is most excited for though is the barn. After being inspected by Robin, the carpenter had decided the building's skeleton could be salvaged even after being abandoned for years. The farmer had helped her tear down the walls, rip up the floor board, and remove the roof so fresh wood and new frames could be put into place.

Walking into the building, Maria was greeted by the now familiar noise of a hammer against wood.

"Oh, hey there farmer," Robin grinned, peering over her shoulders as she put another nail in place, "floorboards are just about finished up. All I gotta do after this is install the glass for the windows and the food trough for your cows and you'll be all set."

"Perfect," the farmer smiles, "thanks so much for this. I've had my mind set on owning cows since my first day in the valley."

Robin chuckles, slamming the hammer down once on the final nail before setting it aside and standing up, brushing herself off. "Well, you've got your chickens, you're about to have your cows. You have any other plans coming up?"

Maria blinks, slightly confused before laughing, "what do you mean?"

"Welllll," the carpenter smirks, "a little birdie told me that you and Elliott are a bit of an item now, huh?"

The farmer blushes and rolls her eyes, "which one? Caroline? Jodi?"

"Both, this Tuesday when I went to the weekly workout," she laughs, "but Demetrius and I had a feeling this would happen ever since the flower dance."