8. A Writer's Woes

"Oh these leaves are starting to round out nicely, the melons should be ready for harvest in a week I'd say. What do you think, Orion?"

Maria was crouched on the ground, doing her daily watering and checking up on all of her new crops. Summer was in full swing and you could feel it. All around town the sounds of buzzing cicadas could be heard, and it seemed that everywhere the farmer went there were butterflies and ladybugs and beetles. The trees had become more green, and she'd had the smart idea to tap a maple tree on her farm for fresh syrup.

Despite all of the beauty around the valley, the heat of the season could not be ignored. If the sun had shone bright in the Spring, it was sweltering now. Maria had gone to Robin for help the week before, knowing she didn't have enough funds for a house upgrade, but still desperate for any way that she could keep her farmhouse cool. The carpenter had been kind enough to loan her an old fan free of charge, and though it didn't seem like much it did her wonders when she'd seek shelter from the blazing sun.

The farmer had fallen into a routine of completing her chores in the early morning; watering crops, feeding the chickens, and checking/restocking crab pots she'd stowed in a pond in the southern part of her farm. If she worked diligently during those few peak hours she'd be able to escape the brunt of the heat that arrived around eleven o'clock and lasted well into the afternoon.

During those midday hours she found herself either taking refuge within her house, the library, or the saloon. While at home she'd put on random television channels and would finally get around to unpacking the last of her moving boxes, finding places for all of her old trinkets and items brought along from Zuzu City. At the library she found herself buried in various books, bringing her phone to play some peaceful instrumental music as she read about everything from seasonal crops to high fantasy escapades. On the days she spent in the saloon she'd spend most of her time in the arcade, improving her skills at Journey of the Prairie King (even surpassing the previous high score, which she assumed Abigail had set before her).

Then once the sun had begun to set and the air cooled, she'd return to her farm to clean up her land, or possibly fish up in the mountains or down in Cindersap forest. It was a comfortable routine, and if she had the time she'd try and spend some of her evenings in the saloon chatting with townsfolk and indulging herself with Gus' delicious food. She'd even managed to convince the chef to teach her some of his recipes once she had a kitchen of her own, and she intended on getting that house upgrade no later than mid-Summer.

Today though, she had different plans. She'd already fed her chickens (both of whom were growing gorgeously, Marnie said they'd be ready to begin laying eggs any day now), and had watered the last of her crops. Standing up straight, she dusted off her shorts before heading back inside to change out of her working clothes.

She quickly exchanged her faded tee and washed out shorts for something far more breathable, as today she had plans to head south to the beach. She slipped on a simple black bikini, and on top of that was a flowy, off the shoulder blouse and some denim shorts. She didn't quite know if she'd be swimming or not today, but there was no harm in being prepared. Once she'd tied up her mass of curly hair and found some comfortable sandals, she walked over to a small ice box and grabbed her wicker basket.

"What do you think, Orion? Should I bring grapes or some spice berries," she asked aloud, turning to look at the Burmese who was now stretched out comfortably on the open window pane, no doubt enjoying the sun that was beginning to shine in.

He merely mewled loudly, turning over to stare at her with wide, unassuming eyes.

She sighed and shook her head at him, "I'll just bring both, and I'm sure he'll appreciate the snack, I'm pretty sure he's just cooped himself up in that cabin of his again."