Chapter 6

You know those moments when you feel like you're floating? This was one of those moments.

My back was still pressed against the nightstand, the corners digging into my sides. But I didn't care. Because I felt like I was floating.

My knees still felt shaky and my legs tingled like they were about to give out any second now. My mind went blurry as I tried to picture the last couple minutes in excruciating detail.

Standing up straight, I paced to the front of the bedroom. The door was still open a crack and I peered through, half expecting someone to be coming down the hall. I quickly ducked back at the sound of footsteps. Turning the other way, I fiddled with the things on the dresser in front of me, as to look busy.

"Were you looking for someone?" A voice sounded behind me, laced with cockiness and sarcasm. "Go away, Kaeya." I scoffed, not bothering to turn around. "Ouch.." He whined, "I didn't know you hated me that much."

"Is it too much to ask for a little peace and quiet." Letting out an exasperated sigh, I whipped my head around to see him leaning against the wall nonchalantly. "Apparently it is." He shrugged disconcertingly.

I shook my head slightly and grabbed his arm to try and lead him out the door. "Calm down, I just want to talk." "Haven't we talked enough?" I rolled my eyes. He raised an eyebrow. "You said it yourself, it's been years. Don't you want to reconnect a little?"

I loosened my grip on his arm for a moment, "No, now leave."

He was halfway out the door, but then suddenly paused. "I just want to know.." I shot him a glare, knowing what was coming next, "I've explained myself already, now go."

He sighed, then left the room.
-
The steady thud of the rain outside matched the constant drumming of my head. I tossed and turned maybe a hundred times, but my eyes wouldn't stay shut.

I got up and walked to the door. My hand lingered on the doorknob, hesitant, in case I might see Diluc downstairs. Or even worse, Kaeya. Both of them asked too many questions.

I slowly swung the door open, cringing as it creaked, and made my way downstairs. The rain sounded louder in the hallway, and it was pitch black outside.

I stepped lightly down the wooden steps and into the main room, near the entrance of the manor. Sitting down on a sofa with a sigh, I closed my eyes for a moment.

My peace was abruptly broken when I felt the other side of the sofa dip down.

"Why are you always following me?" I whispered, not opening my eyes.

"What can I say." I could just hear the smirk in his voice, "I admire you." In any other circumstance this would've flattered me. But this was Kaeya, and everything he said was heavily laced with sarcasm.

"I let you down."

Except for that.

"What?" My eyes shot open.

"We both know you deserved better." He turned away from me, "You still do."

"It's fine, really."

"No... it's not." His face turned to meet mine. "It's really not, (Y/N). You were right. We abandoned you. Out of nowhere."

"Why?"

He looked torn.

"I don't ... I can't..."

I shook my head and got up.

"Where are you going?"

"I just need some air."

"It's raining."

"I don't care." My words tasted bitter.

Kaeya said nothing. And I walked out into the rain. I finally had a moment of peace.

Until I heard the door open behind me.

"God, why are you so obsessed with me?!"

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry." He sounded empathetic, almost remorseful.

"I don't want your apology." The words stung in my mouth, "All you've been doing is apologizing. Giving me excuses. But you never give me a reason." I rambled. He stepped a little closer. The rain was coming down hard and I was practically drenched.

"And don't say anything because I'm not done yet." Closer. "I mean all you ever do is just apologize. You're so fake sympathetic. You pretend like you care but you can't even give me closure." Even closer. "Damn it Kaeya, that's all I ever wanted."

Almost too close.

"All I ever wanted was some closure." Tears started to come down uncontrollably, though they were indiscernible from the heavy rain pouring down my face. "The one thing I wanted from you after all these years and you can't even offer me that. You don't care. You're right, I do deserve better, and you can't even give me better." His hands brushed across my face, trying their best to dry the rainwater and tears off my face. "And you know what?" His eyebrows raised as if to beckon my answer. "I hate-"

Lips landed onto mine. 

Kaeya's hands cupped my face and my hands trailed up to his neck. His fingers gently brushed the wet hair away from my eyes. Pulling me closer, his fingertips lightly traced my cheeks. I pulled him in farther as the kiss deepened. The two of us were completely soaked but we didn't care. All that mattered was that moment. All that mattered was each other.

He was the first to pull away with a smirk.

"Now, what were you going to say?"

-
A/N
Okay, I know, I knowww this chapter is very very short. But, this scene has been lingering in my mind for weeks now and I just HAD to write it. And it was just the perfect scene to end the chapter on. I also wrote this chapter while listening to Pretty Boy by The Neighbourhood on a loop so yes I am in intense emotional pain rn dhmu 💔  anyways ... TYSM FOR 2K READS AND 200 VOTES. We're almost at 3k this is crazy !!!! Ty again for all ur support there's just no way I can explain how stoked I am, y'all are amazing. Anyways, hopefully I'll write some longer chapters now that I'm on break.
Love,
misty <3