Chapter 4

"Excuse me?"

The red haired heir looked a bit taken aback by the sudden bitterness to my words.

"Goodness, you sound like Kaeya." I scoffed. He cast a sharp glare in my direction, "I'm taking that to full offense." "You should be." I rolled my eyes, "I mean what is with you guys thinking I can't dance. You of all people should know I absolutely haven't lost my touch, especially with the little hint you brought up earlier." I narrowed my eyes.

"I apologise. It's just been a while, hasn't it." He had a calmer look in his eyes. "Quite bold of you to say that, seeing as you've been ignoring me all these years." The look quickly fell. "Aren't we here to dance?" He took my hand in his as I raised my other one onto his shoulder. "Sure, if you think I can keep up." He heaved a sigh in response to my cold remark. "No need to be so upset, (Y/N)." His voice held his usual authoritative tone, and it made my stomach flutter in a way it hadn't before. "I invited you here today because I wanted to see you again, can't we talk about this some other time? I do believe this song is one of your favorites."

He was right.

"Swan Lake.." I said softly. "May I have this dance?" He peered down at me slightly. "Well," My eyes flickered to our hands locked together, "It seems like you already have it." Though he didn't smile, I could see a hint of it in his fiery red eyes.

See, that was the thing with Diluc. He seemed quite stoic, always so practical, always so brooding. But if you knew how to read him right, he was very transparent. And 16 years of knowing him certainly did me well in that department.

We both had strong emotions, yet in very different ways. I was always very clear with the way I felt, melodramatic even. I never minded the attention. But Diluc, though he felt strongly, he would never show it. I knew many things about him, but I could not unlock the mystery that was his constant sense of security, like he always had something to guard. Sometimes I wanted to ask him,

"Don't you ever get tired?"

But I know he would give me the same vague, almost riddle-like, response as he always does. I could have known him for as long as possible, but I doubt I would ever get any closer to cracking that ever sturdy shell that he had so carefully placed around his heart.

"Lost in thought again?" His voice rang clear, "You're getting a little careless with your footwork." He raised an eyebrow. "No I'm not.... I'm just improvising." I said quickly, straightening out my posture after I realized I had let go of it during my period of reflection. "I'm sure you are." He said with a sarcastic huff.

I rolled my eyes, probably for the 5th time that night, and went back to focusing on my steps. "You know..." Diluc started, clearing his throat, "If you'd like to stay here for the night... we have some rooms available."

I looked up at him in surprise.

My confusion must have shown quite clearly on my face because he quickly added, "I was just offering, since it's starting to rain pretty heavily. And there's been a lot of Stormterror sightings around Mondstadt." Oddly, my heart dropped a little at his reasoning.

Part of me wanted to believe that he had wanted me around for longer.

"Sure, if it's not too much trouble." I replied and his eyes softened for a split second, then returned back to their usual unreadable expression just as quick as they had changed.

"You know it's never too much trouble to have you around."
~
"Why is he here?"

Diluc sighed in exasperation seeing the smug grin on Kaeya's face. "Well, I didn't want to miss out on all the fun." He elbowed me and I shot him a glare, "Honestly I was offended that you wouldn't even your own brother to this little... sleepover."