Chapter 8

Three months. Twelve weeks. Eighty four days. And approximately five thousand and fourty minutes. 

That's how long it had been since that night.

That night where Kaeya and I stood soaking wet in front of Dawn Winery in soul-crushing silence. Where we left our eyes to say what we couldn't. Where I finally uttered those bitter words that would push him away from me for good.

I hadn't seen him much after that. I'd occasionally spot him walking through the town square, stopping to buy some silver or some bread. And then one day he stopped in front of Flora's booth and bought this beautiful bouquet. It was filled with porcelain colored cecilias, and sunset-hued lilies, and as he dropped the coins into Flora's hand he said only three words, 

"She'll love these." 

And I admit, I was ashamed that I stood there and let those three little words hurt me the way they did. I was the one who pushed him away after all. I told him to get lost that night, three months ago. He was happy now, and he deserved that happiness, even if it was with someone else. It was selfish and narcissistic to think that he would be holding out for me.

I tried to forget him after that.

I convinced myself I was trying so hard to forget him for his own good, so my existence wouldn't interfere with his peace. But I knew the truth. I regretted everything. I tried to forget him so I wouldn't be reminded of my own guilt. And maybe I tried to forget him because some part of me still wanted him.

I had taken quite a liking to walking late at night recently. And as nights got warmer, so did some others. So I suppose it wasn't much of a surprise when I was walking near the gates of the Mondstadt Cathedral and I brushed shoulders with someone. But it was a surprise when he turned around.

And it was even more of a surprise when I recognized his face.

"Diluc?"

My voice came out in a raggedy, almost forced, sound, as if saying his name was bringing me pain. And in a way, it was.

"You shouldn't be out this late at night." He said dryly. What more could I expect from him except his concern disguised as a witty retort. "Never mind me, why are you here. You're never in Mondstadt, much less at this hour." I countered back. I didn't want to tell him my reason for my midnight strolls. He couldn't know about my situation with Kaeya, if there even was one. I knew it was horrible of me to keep the possibility lingering there, and yet I still did. Yet, situation or not, Diluc could not know about it. Underneath his stoic exterior, he was quite unpredictable, and I suppose maybe it was his uncracked surface that fostered that unpredictability.

"Business." He spoke one single word, interrupting my train of thought. "At midnight?" I raised an eyebrow in suspicion. His eyes shifted slightly to the left as he paused for a moment, "It's confidential business, it's imperative we meet in secret." I knew this was a lie. I had grown up with him, I knew when he was lying, and I knew that he wasn't very good at it. "If it's a secret then why are you telling me?" This seemed to startle him. I didn't rub my little victory in like I might've on any other day, instead I just gave him an accusatory look.

"Okay, so it's not business." 

"So then why are you really out here?"

"Same reason as you."

"Can't you take a peaceful, head-clearing stroll on your acres and acres of property?"

"It doesn't have the same ambiance."

That he was right about. Even in the dead of night, Mondstadt still sparkled with the same liveliness as in earlier hours. The fountain in the middle of the square reflected the gleaming, glittering moon which cast an ivory hue on everything, and illuminated all the little corners of the square. The quaint plaza was silent and empty, save for the two of us, and the tranquil quietude of it added to the ideal atmosphere for a midnight excursion. It was quite the contrast from Dawn Winery, which was almost always bustling with work, people rushing to harvest the grapes before any bugs could lay siege on them during the night. Or worse, rabbits.