Chapter One

Pic above is Mira

Dauntless the brave, value original acts of bravery. Abnegation the selfless, value helping others. Erudite the intelligent, value wisdom. Amity the kind, values peace and harmony. Candor the truthful, value honesty. These are the five factions everyone choses from in my world. Sometimes I feel like I belong to them all, but other times I feel like I belong to none.
I look at the white board realizing how much I just missed. I swear that a second ago the board was empty. Oh well. I tell myself. If I fail it doesn't really matter. My parents have told me over and over again that I'll never make it in Erudite. I was never smart like the Erudite and never cared to. I mean sure I've got far more common sense than any kid in the other factions put together, but if you asked me to explain what happens when you mix one chemical with another I wouldn't know. I think before I move, but sitting in this boring class room day after day kills me. I tap my feet impatiently as I watch the clock in an attempt to get some energy out, but quickly get bored and start to sketch on my note pad. It's really only filled with sketches and random gibberish I occasionally would write down to look like I was paying attention, but I don't even try to play the part of an Erudite anymore.

"Mira Coulter." My teacher sternly pulled me from my work of art to see her standing above me.

I threw my head back and rolled my eyes. "What?" I say obviously annoyed.

Mrs. Paxton narrowed her eyes, ripping my note pad off my desk. "I'll have no such disrespect in my classroom!" She exclaimed, drawing a snort out of me. "Especially from an Erudite."

"Well," I say with great pleasure, placing my feet on my desk and leaning back in my chair, "you only have to deal with me one more year." I flash her a toothy smile. Several Dauntless in the class snicker with approval only causing me to even more boldly slouch in my chair.

"I'll be having a talk with your parents after school, young lady." Mrs. Paxton glares at me deeply and begins walking away.

"Oh no, I'm so scared." I say under my breath with a chuckle causing Mrs. Paxton spun around and faced me again.

"Do you want to say that to my face?" She growled.

I stand from my chair standing nose to nose with the woman. "As a matter of fact, I do." I say tipping her off the edge. "I said 'I'm sooo scared.'"

"You will stay after class, Mira." Mrs. Paxton said through her teeth.

I smile slyly. "Make me." Now even the dauntless children had raised eyebrows, but their reactions were nothing in comparison to the erudite and abnigation's reactions. Normally it was the candor that spoke so honestly and disrespectfully to the teachers, but daring to act so disrespectfully was more Dauntless.

The bell rings before Mrs. Paxton can say anything more and I pack my stuff up snacking my notepad from still shocked Mrs. Paxton's hand with a sarcastic 'Thank you' before I leave.

I step outside of my classroom and breath a breath of fresh air. Freedom. I turn and head for home knowing I'm in for a whipping, but not really caring. I know there are worse things that could happen to me. My brother Eric could come home before my parents. I shutter. Eric was an alcoholic and drug addict. When he was home before Mom or Dad it was always worse then if Mom and Dad were home. When I was home alone with him he would beat me until I finally would fend him off to the point where I could lock myself in my room or my parents would get home and controle him. This was my last day before he would finally be gone. I was so overjoyed that I skipped home to our apartment complex. It wasn't far from the school and I fingered mom and dad would be home by now anyway. I knew that Eric would be home tonight though. He had just had his aptitude text so he had to come home to decide what he would do tomorrow.