Chapter Three

Pic above is Eric (but you knew that)

I didn't ever plan on staying in Erudite, but now I know that it is life threatening to stay. The erudite would find me out within a week of initiation. I know Mom won't care or ask what my results were. We're not even supposed to talk about it. That's a firm rule in all the districts.

I stroll down the street as memories of Eric murdering Dad haunt me. Mom was at this point so broken to the point that she didn't even talk. She seemed so present in the past that she didn't notice the world. I was lost in the memory as well, but I held myself together. I had to. I couldn't let people see me as a weakling.

I rush into the apartment complex and up the stairs, but my mind finds no rest when I stare at the floor where my dead dad had laid. Where I saw my own brother choke our dad to death. No my dad. Eric didn't deserve to be labeled as my dad's son. Eric was a bastard.

I stare at the floor a moment longer then I see that Mom isn't here. I go to her room and find her in her bed. This room just brought back memories of me rushing into my parents room as a child to wake them up. I was always an early bird. I leave Mom who stares at the ceiling not asleep and never acknowledges me.

I find no rest in my own room. I only remember the times when I would just barely escape Eric's grasp. Most of the time he would beat me a bit and I would escape to my room. Either way he would bang on my door yelling until my parents were home. A few times he managed to break my door down, but Dad fixed it... there the thought of Dad was again. My current door still has dents from Eric's fist in it though.

After I calm myself and escape my memories I walk out of my room. I look away from the living room where Dad was killed and straight to the kitchen. My stomach growls and I search the cabinets for food. In the end I just eat a bowl of cereal. I can't stomach much more than that. I was never a big eater though.

I leave the kitchen and check on Mom again. She's sleeping now and it's eight O'clock, so I decide to go to bed as well. Yes it's early, but I have a big day tomorrow. I'll be seeing my dear brother tomorrow and opening the gates of hell on him.

***

I wake up to the smell of eggs and bacon cooking. I take in a deep breath of the amazing smell. It was good to wake up to that. I hadn't woken up to that smell since Dad died. He would almost always make everyone breakfast before he left for work.

I suddenly lose all sense and rush out of my bedroom searching for Dad. My mind is tricked into believing there is a chance he is alive. I of course, find Mom in the kitchen not Dad. I sigh lightly and she turns around with a small smile.

"Hey..." She says as if walking on ice. We hadn't really had any nice conversations in a year so I don't blame her. "I just thought I'd make you some breakfast..." She said slowly knowing full well that it reminded me of Dad.

I was angry with her for trying to take Dad's place, but I hold it in. "Thank you..." I say awkwardly.

Mom sighed in relief as she scooped some eggs and bacon onto one plate for me and the other for her. When she sets my plate in front of me I eat my food without speaking. When I finish I see she is watching me.

"What?" I say slightly annoyed still.

Mom looked down at her hands before answering me. "I just wanted to talk to you..."

I nod for her to go on.

"I've realized that I haven't been very present in your life. You see I was always closer to Eric..." She stops as I clench my hands into fists though I have no idea what my face looks like. I know I don't look happy. "Mira, I can't lose you along with my son and husband. I couldn't bear living alone. I need you. I know you don't love me or even like me, but please. Please stay."