Chapter Twenty-One: A Letterhead of Reunion

Adèle's point of view:

Mrs. Adèle Armbrüster, I sincerely hope my writing to you has not taken away from your honeymoon. I should congratulate you and Michael, may you have a long and prosperous marriage. However, I am sure you wish for me to carry on with the point. My name is Oskar Schindler, and if I could I would like to do a little business with you, Mrs. Armbrüster, and your husband as well.

I am under the awareness of your business located outside Berlin some kilometers away. As you know, most of the men you have explained the business to understand that you are paying Polish employees to create goods and services for the German army. However, I have gotten wind of a different purpose, one with a more illicit tone stationed within it. Do not worry yourself when you read this, first of all, this letter is classified. My assistant will be carrying it out and sending it to some trusted messengers I have. A second reason, seeing as I only plan to use this to my advantage. You've singlehandedly managed to smuggle sixty-seven children out of Auschwitz, which is quite heroic in my opinion. I am sure you know you cannot runa factory with only sixty-seven employees under the ages of sixteen.

Yet, the reason still remains that you have made false accusations on a supposed accident that occurred, killing everyone in the train cart. That was clever, and you managed to sway the whole of the German officers that oversaw the transportation. But I'm sure you already know that you can only use an excuse like that once, and it was hardly supple enough to last you. I am sure you know you need at least six hundred more employees to have a workable environment with proper production.

You and your husband do not have much time to succeed. Which is why I would like to schedule a meeting with the both of you. This would, of course, take place in my factory at Kraków. I know you are all the way in Berlin, but I am sure the trip will be worth it. You should speak with your husband as well before you accept my offer, get back to me when you can. But I think joining forces would be beneficial to not only us but the remaining Jewish population that still stands.

Send your letter to this address, telling me about what you and your new husband have decided. Once that has been established, I would like to contact my accountant Itzhak Stern. He will run you through to my secretary and she will make an appointment for you. I apologize for the formal tone in it all, but I am very busy as you may know. Again, congratulations to you and Michael on your new nuptials, and give him my best.

Sincerely,
Oskar Schindler.

When I read the letter I didn't really know what to think. All I knew was that I had to let Michael know about this. We had been married a week now, and Oskar was right when he said we were running out of time. Tonight was a dinner party at one of the official's homes and Michael and I were cordially invited. We had to do that, and then tomorrow I would make the appointment to see Schindler. I had to admit how advantageous the proposal seemed to be. An expansion and another ally could only bring us the greater of the good.

I left the study of our home and went to Michael, who was sitting in the living room reading a book. I snuck up behind him as he faced away from me where he sat. When I reached him, I jumped out and wrapped my arms around his neck gently and excitedly. He jumped a little when I turned my face to his and kissed him on the lips quickly and romantically. He laughed and deepened the kiss as he pressed closer to me, even though there was a sofa dividing us.

"I was wondering where you ran off to. Where did you go?" He asked. I laughed again and shrugged my shoulders. The house was quite big and it was easy to find a quiet setting. We found sometimes that we forgot how far apart we were from each other even though we were in the same house.