Chapter Five

The smell of smoke carries through the night wind. Waking all in L'Manburg almost immediately. Flames burn through the forest that surrounds L'Manburg.

"Everyone! Get a bucket and water and start putting out the flames! Keep your mouths covered to prevent yourselves from inhaling the smoke!" Wilbur's voice shouted out. They need to hurry before the flames reach the walls and they're trapped inside. If that happened, then the walls would lead to L'Manburg's own doom. It's a madhouse, everyone rushing for buckets and heading to the river. The flames burn brightly against the chill of the night. Branches fall to the ground, creating sparks in the process of doing so.

"Be careful, everyone! We have limited health supplies. You'll be in a whole other world of pain if you get crushed by a burning log!" I shout out, my voice being carried in the smoke and the wind. I look on in shock and disappointment, surveying the flames as they grow higher.

"I can't believe they'd resort to this. To scarring the land in such a manner. It'll take years for any sort of regrowth..." I mumble under my breath. It's hard to breathe, the smoke fills my lungs like a thick fog, burning my throat and making a dry cough escape my lips. I don't hear the panicked shouts of my name as a tree topples down above me. I'm suddenly pulled back, as the burning tree just barely misses me. Coughing, it's hard to see through the smoke who exactly saved my life.

"W-Wilbur?" I manage to make out, my voice dry and scratchy. They don't answer me and I don't question it at first. They pick me up, swinging me over their shoulder. Through the haze, I'm able to make out a forest green cloak. It then occurs to me who is carrying me.

"Dream, put me down." He ignores my weak attempt at getting him to let me go. My punches against his back don't seem to sway him either, instead it does the opposite.

"(Y/N), stop. I'm not forcing you to come back. I just want to talk. Besides, I just saved your life. You owe me right now." I sigh deeply, seeing as he's right. I stop resisting and let him carry me out of the flaming inferno that is known as the forest that once surrounded L'Manburg. When we're a good distance from the flames is when I'm finally able to breathe easily again. Dream sets me down. We're overlooking the large pillows of smoke rising into the sky from a safe distance away on a cliff that overlooks the burning valley below. L'Manburg is somewhere in the center of that cloud of smoke. I only hope the fire has yet to breach the walls. It's silent between the two of us, Dream and I. I didn't think our next meeting would go quite like this.

"Dream? Why did you save me?" I ask quietly, voice still rough from inhaling the smoke. Dream doesn't turn his head to me when he speaks.

"Because it wasn't your time to die, (Y/N). Besides, what sort of friend would I be if I just let you die like that? Sapnap and George would despise me if I let something bad happen to you." His words warm my heart just a little. Perhaps the Dream I knew from my past is still in there. However, it doesn't take away from the cold tone he'd used in the beginning. His words echo in my mind.

"It wasn't your time to die."

Not my time to die? What is that supposed to mean? I can't help the frown that forms on my face. While he may have had good intentions on saving my life, it only means that I am now indebted to him. Which I know he'll use to his full advantage.

"What is it that you want, Dream?" I ask, finally. Dream doesn't respond for a moment, likely thinking over his response before answering.

"I want you to give L'Manchildberg a message." Huh? I raise a brow, showing my confusion.

"You saved my life. You could literally ask me to do anything for you; and you ask me to play messenger?" I ask him incredulously. Dream nods, proving that he meant what he said.