Cliche 32: Protagonists Always Steal the Spotlight

"Alrighty, so kicking off the awards is the title of 'Best Dressed Lad' and 'Best Dressed Lady'!" the prefect said, clearing his throat and glancing down at the cue card in his hand, raising a brow. 

"It's obviously you," I whispered to Elias, the boy just shaking his head and squeezing my hand, leaning in to murmur in my ear. 

"No, it would be ridiculous for people to vote for me when you're standing here looking like this," Elias said, his tickle of breath against the shell of my ear making me shiver and blush, coughing in elated embarrassment.

"W-Well, we can agree to disagree!" I said, just as the prefect spoke.

"The lady voted to be the best-dressed belle of the ball is... Amber Cross! Give the girl a round of applause, everyone!" the prefect cheered, everyone immediately clapping and turning to Amber, who was visibly startled at being voted for the prize. Amber blinked in confusion, before looking down at her outfit and curvaceous body, her mouth slowly curling up into a smug grin.

I sighed and pinched my nose bridge in secondhand embarrassment when my sister flipped her blonde hair over a bare shoulder, sashaying around me with a sultry sway to her step, the girl leaning in to cackle in my face.

"Dude, we were totally reborn into the right universe," Amber said, making me snort as she just strode through the crowd like a runway model. When she stepped up onto the stage, the prefect draped a budget 'Best Dressed' sash embroidered with the school colours over her, the boy almost stuttering his congratulations as she beamed brightly at him.

After receiving her (useless) award, my sister climbed down the steps and rejoined us, everyone's eyes on her as she flicked her hair again, fiddling with the sash proudly.

"And moving on to the title of 'Best Dressed Lad'! Wow, the results for this one were super tight, and it was only a difference of a few votes between the top two contenders. And I'm sure we all know who they were," the second prefect said, eyes zeroing in on Elias and I, the two of us looking at each other with amusement.

"Told you," we both said at the same time, before dissolving into a fit of giggles as people watched on curiously. 

"No, seriously, I think you won," I said, patting Elias's back as the boy just scoffed, patting me on the waist in return. 

"You'll be proven wrong in a second, trust me," Elias said, as the prefect continued reading the results scribbled down on his cue card.

"With only three more votes than his second place rival, 'Best Dressed Lad' goes to... Xander Hart!"

My mouth dropped open, Amber bursting out with a loud guffaw and slapping her knee, yelling "Whoo, twinning! Literally and fictionally!" 

Elias leaned in then, a little proud of himself for guessing the heart (and eyes) of our cohort correctly. 

"See? Told you so. You can't be here looking like you do and have people not notice," Elias said as I blushed, smoothing out the non-existent wrinkles in my suit.

"I only got three more votes than you, okay?! And besides... You know I would've voted for you..." I mumbled, Elias's eyes softening as he smiled, now pushing my back to get me to go up onto the stage, the prefects beginning to look impatient.

I stumbled my way up there, movements jerky under the scrutinising gazes of everyone at the formal and mumbled a quiet 'Thanks' to the prefect who roped the sash over my shoulders. I ignored the cheers and wolf-whistles from Xander's ex-conquests, eyes just locked onto Elias who gave me a once over with a proud smile, making my stomach flip.

You know what, author of 'Say No to Bad Boys'? Thank you for making Xander hot and giving him abs harder than bricks. I mean, he was a hot mess too, but one thing you got right was his face. Personality could've been improved somewhat, but that's irrelevant now, I guess.