Cliche 8: Badboys Are Always "Different"

"So you're new?" Elias asked after swallowing another mouthful of the ham and cheese toastie Aubrey had made and wincing as he did so. Aubrey hummed in affirmation, pouring Elias and I some more juice.

"Yeah. Moved to the city because of my dad's job," Aubrey explained, shrugging her shoulders slightly. 

"And how are you finding it?" Elias asked conversationally, Aubrey looking like she wanted to sigh. Oh, the woes of a protagonist.

"It's alright, I guess. It's a bit of a change, being in the city. I'm not used to being around so many people... and I don't really know anyone. So it makes me feel even more alo-" Aubrey began, before realising how much she was disclosing, teeth clacking shut. "Anyway, it's alright."

Oh, I totally understand how you feel, Aubrey. Considering I've been in this world for less than a week, I totally get the feeling of not knowing any one and being alone.

"Well, you know the two of us," I said quietly, glancing at Elias, who met my gaze and smiled softly with that lopsided grin of his. Elias nodded again, turning his eyes from me to look at Aubrey. 

"Tomorrow at lunch, you can come hang out with me and my friends. We're usually at the benches under the big moreton bay fig."

"Oh, thank you," Aubrey breathed out, beaming back at Elias. My lips twitched as the protagonist and the second male lead (whom I had mentally promoted to first male lead status) shared warm gazes, and I could just imagine the swell of romantic violin music playing in the background, a chorus of 'shalalala' and cherubs throwing rose petals around. My fingers twitched as I fought back the urge to just smash their faces together and usher them towards the bedroom.

Alas, my mental plans were halted when Elias looked at me, cheeks slightly red - obviously from his tender moment with the object of his future affections just then.

"You can sit with us too, Xander," Elias said, clearing his throat slightly, scratching the back of his neck. "I mean, I know you usually hang out with your friends, but my offer stands. I..." Elias looked down at his hands, then back up. "I think it would be nice if you sat with us."

So... So caring! So sociable! So kind!

I opened my mouth to say something, but couldn't quite find any words. Elias's cheeks grew rosier, and he cleared his throat again while diverting his gaze. Popping the last morsel of his lunch into his mouth, Elias gathered our now empty plates and cups and carried them to the kitchen sink.

"Ah! It's okay, Elias, I can clean them. Just leave 'em there," Aubrey said, scrambling up behind the soccer captain and gently grabbing his arm.

"No, it's alright, leave them to me," Elias said, laughing slightly, lightly bumping Aubrey's shoulder with his as she tried to grab the dishes, the protagonist pouting slightly.

"Elias, you're the guest, just leave the dishes there!" Aubrey whined, attempting to grab the dishes again, Elias just chuckling and using his superior height to hold the plates over her head. I stifled a laugh as Aubrey hopped up and down, Elias's face lighting up with radiance as he teased her. 

Good job, Elias! Top marks! Playful and flirty, wonderful, just wonderful. Couldn't have done if better myself. Now, just gotta make my strategic exit so I'm not third wheeling and then...

Aubrey couldn't help but giggle, shoving Elias's chest, the soccer captain letting out an exaggerated noise of pain before turning to me with pleading caramel eyes. 

"Xander, help me, I'm injured and she's attacking me," Elias said, waving the stack of plates above his head. 

"What? No fair!" Aubrey said, trying to sound cross but only managing to laugh instead. "Xander's totally on my team, we both don't believe in letting injured people do the dishes! Isn't that right, Xander?"