26. Rory Preston

✫✫✫

               THEY DIDN'T GET THE CHANCE TO GO SKINNY DIPPING.

               Once there was news of Rory's arrival, the palace staff bombarded her. They ordered her a new wardrobe, specializing the seamstress. And once they saw Rory had a guest, they had to tailor Paris a set of new clothes, too.

               Ophelia, the royal secretary, gave Rory a hug to welcome her home.

               "I'm so glad you're back!" she said with a saccharine smile.

               Rory and Ophelia had always had a rocky relationship.

               It was a long history that had something to do with firecrackers, a fifteen-layer cake and the wedding of the century.

               But Rory gave her a smile, too—she was glad to be back.

               She both loved and hated Valeria.

               Rory loved this country because it was hers. This was her family's land, and it was beautiful. The people were kind, caring, and they deserved a good ruler.

               But Rory hated Valeria, too. Because it had always been the chains that bound her to this palace, tethering her to power she didn't want, a life she swore she would never live.

               And it wasn't just that Rory didn't want it.

               Sometimes she felt like she didn't deserve it.

               If Declan hadn't died, this land would have never belonged to her. So maybe her wildness, her carelessness, was in part a reaction to this knowledge. Rory was never supposed to be queen. How could she possibly deserve it?

               Declan had spent his whole life preparing and Rory . . .

               And Rory wasn't ready.

               But she knew now that she could be. 

               That she did have it in her to be better.

               So she let the seamstresses and the staff take her measurements. She let them wash her clean and scrub her to the bone and cut her hair and wax her skin.

               And even though it was torture, Rory knew Paris was enduring the same thing, and it made her laugh.

✫✫✫

               AFTER A FULL DAY OF THIS, RORY FELT LIKE SHE HAD BEEN plucked clean.

               "There's nothing left of me!" Rory complained. 

               "Just a little more," cooed one of her attendants.

                "Do you want to ruin the surprise?" said another.

                Rory scowled. "What surprise?"

                "The girl you brought looks marvelous. Your heart is going to stop when you see her."

                "When can I see her?"

                The attendant hummed. "Tomorrow night."

                 "Just before the Charity Gala," the other added.

                  Rory crossed her arms. "This is ridiculous! It's like you're trying to keep us away from each other."