04. Rory Preston

✫✫✫

                "FOUR FRACTURED RIBS. A SPRAINED TAILBONE. A SNAPPED ankle. Lacerations on your upper chest. Abrasions on your neck. And let's not forget—your broken leg."

                 The doctor—Chevy—was looking down at her with something like condescension.

                 He was the royal physician. Which meant he had been sent by her father, checking up on her.

                 It went unsaid—the fact that the king didn't trust her. 

                 He was making sure she wasn't lying about the accident.

                 "Are you satisfied?" Rory said. There was enough morphine in her system to choke a chihuahua. "Because I'm sure my father will be so happy to hear he was right."

                 "He was also wondering about the reported news of the—er, the hot tub—"

                 Rory enjoyed watching Doctor Chevy turn red.

                 "The hot tub?" she said innocently.

                 "The rumours about the—two young celebrities—"

                 "Oh, you mean the orgy I had with Cara Delevigne and Ashley Benson in the hot tub of the Alpacian ski lodge?" 

                 The physician choked. Sputtered, "You—your—"

                 "Well, if you'd like to know the details, I suggest asking, Doctor."

                 "That's not what I—you—your father will hear about this." 

                 "Oh, good," Rory said. "Would he like a full list of the rumours that are true? Because just last week, there was talk about me and Ruby Rose—"

                 "That's enough, Rory," said Simon, pushing the door open.

                 Somehow, he had a sixth sense for trouble.

                 "I was just getting started. Don't you think the king would want to know about the threesome I had with Lily Rose Depp and Timotheé Chalamet?" 

                 "No," Simon growled. "I don't think the king wants to know that."

                 To the royal physician, Rory said, "Just one thing, Doctor."

                 He looked at her reluctantly, as though he was preparing himself to hear the full details of her steamy time in the hot tub.

                 "My leg . . . are you sure it will be six weeks? Because the Charity Ball—"

                 "You won't be attending," he said firmly. "Not unless you try physical therapy and active treatment. Even then, it's a long shot."

                  She had to try. The Charity Ball was in one month from now.

                  "You can leave now," Simon said, just shy of barking.

                  He probably knew the reason the royal physician had been sent—verifying Rory's injuries. Making it wasn't a publicity stunt.

                  It made Rory feel a little better to know he was on her side.

                  Until he said, "What were you thinking?"