six;

MATTHEO RIDDLE

Her quiet sobs were too much for me to fall asleep. She kept me awake, but I couldn't force myself to move, letting her know I could hear the way she muffled her cries with a hand over her mouth. She needed to cry and if anything, I was just going to let it happen.

My hand was placed underneath my pillow, gripping it tightly as I tried to drown her out. She shouldn't even be in here anyway. I shouldn't have given in so easily and just let her sleep on the common room sofa. 

She stepped into a part of my life and knew where I stayed most of my days, keeping to myself. I couldn't ignore her from it now.

I kept my back facing her, my eyes open and just peering into the darkness. I didn't care if she was upset about the situation she was in; I was focused on the boy. He had less of a heart than me to do that to a girl, leaving me to help her pick up the pieces.

She managed to fall asleep, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Her soft snores filled my ears, allowing me to shuffle in my position without making her flinch at my sudden movements. My body stirred as the feeling of the sheets scratched my back, feeling uneasy.

I gave up. 

I refused to lay there, listening to her sleep peacefully when I couldn't even inch my eyes closed.  I left the room, leaving her cradled body behind. I grabbed a shirt that was on my desk chair, as well as some shoes beside the door, and quietly left the room.

No one would be awake at these late hours. The common room was silent, with only the soft crackles from the fire in each corner. 

I had to take a walk. Clear my thoughts. 

I was diverting my current jobs and focusing on a simple girl when in reality, no one should be having my attention. My father would hex me for even taking my attention away from the plan we had going on, not that he would even find out. He doesn't need to know as nothing was coming out of this.

She would be gone by the morning and that's the last of it.

There was something about the way she handled things that made me wonder things about her though. The way she realised I was the one who knew all along about Cedric cheating her, and how she handled it. 

I know I shouldn't have let her into my room to sleep in my bed; I wasn't thinking straight. She was so lost in the moment, and I would do anything to keep her quiet. Even if it was just one night.

That's all it will ever be. One night. 

Not even a glance I will show her anymore if it keeps me in my tracks. I can't have her interrupting my mind when there are more important things to attend to. She doesn't deserve my attention and she will never earn it.

I sighed. My eyes peered down the darkened hallways as I walked laps around the school, shoving my hands deep into my pockets. It had been hours since I left, but I didn't intend to sleep tonight. Not with her in my bed.

She was an invasion of my privacy, and she needed to be out.

Out of my room. Out of my sight. Out of my life.

ELORA HAYES

The air was thick. Different. It had a similar feeling to my dorm but I knew it wasn't the same. The light faded into the room different to mine and that's how I knew. I wasn't where I should be.