Chapter Seventeen

It's A Wolf Thing

Jared and Paul were instructed to bring me to some woman named Emily's house. While the two wolves I'm with had managed to shift back to normal after Sam had let go of the secret, Embry was still in the woods, probably as a wolf as far as I know. Now I'm in the passenger seat as Jared drives us to Emily's, my friend back to his normal self as he spills all of the secrets he had been hiding from me over the month we were apart.

"Let me get this straight, because of a certain Quileute gene you can turn into wolves?"

"Yes." Paul and Jared answered at the same time.

"And when you are wolves you can read one another's minds?"

"Yep, believe me, Jared was super annoying when Sam made him stop talking to you." Paul smirks.

"Wait, Sam made you stop talking to me? Why? How?" My eyes narrow thinking about Sam Uley telling Jared to stop talking to me. Sam was the one who found Bella in the woods. He knows what the Cullens are and what they did. He knew all that and he took my friend away from me.

"Sam's the alpha. He has this type of leadership where he can command us to do whatever he needs us to do. We have to keep the secret, there was a chance I could have phased in front of you so I was commanded to stay away from anyone who doesn't know about the wolf thing unless it's family." Jared explains.

Paul must see my angry expression because he quickly goes more in depth, though he had been sitting in the backseat looking upset as Jared told me, a human, all of their secrets. The secrets he had to turn into a werewolf to learn. "It's all for good reason Nevaeh, new wolves are known to be a bit... reckless."

"Reckless?"

We pull into the driveway of a faded gray house, it must be Emily's. Jared parks the car but we don't get out right away. "Vae, when we walk in, don't stare at Emily, okay?"

"Why would I stare?"

"New werewolves are reckless. We need to stay away from others until we're able to control our emotions and phasing. One time Emily was too close to Sam when he phased." He pauses, a pained emotion in his eyes, as if he felt like he had hurt this Emily himself. "You'll see what happened."

Paul is the first to go into the house, Jared and I follow him. The woman in front of a stove in the somewhat small kitchen spins around, a smile on the left side of her lips, the right pulled down into a permanent grimace.

"You guys are back early." she comments, about to turn back to the grilled cheese she is making until her eyes stop on me. "Who's this?" Her tone hints towards the underlying question, 'Does she know?'

I believe there are two reasons why Jared told me not the stare. The more obvious one is the three long scars which go down the right side of her face and extend to her hand. The scars are vivid even though I'm sure it has been a good amount of time since the accident, I turn my eyes towards the food on the stove though I would prefer to keep looking at her. Not because of the scars, but the second reason, Emily Young is gorgeous. Seriously, she's close to Rosalie in the looks department but she is still human. She has long black hair, kind brown eyes, and her features manage to make her look better than me even with a wolf injury.

"This is Nevaeh Parkes. She just caught us phasing in the woods." Jared smiles, as if it's something natural to say.

"I knew you guys would be caught eventually but I'm not exactly sure why she doesn't look like she's in shock."