Chapter Twenty-Four

The Forks in the Road

I knew Rosalie was the one who told Edward that Bella had died. It's what started this whole mess, I knew this but I didn't expect to see every member of the Cullen family waiting for us when we landed in Seattle. After the long months they had abandoned us it felt odd to see the entirety of the family. I was finally feeling somewhat like myself because of the sleep I got on the flight home but seeing them made me feel like I was still dreaming, or somewhat delirious. I had been surrounded by vampires in Volterra and I had watched Julian's eyes turn gold along with his new diet, yet the five pairs of eyes on me felt like too much.

Five because Alice and Edward's eyes were black due to thirst. Five because the people who I had considered an extended family in the past had finally come back. They feel like strangers.

Even Rosalie, who still looked as beautiful as ever although the stress of the past few days had obviously gotten to her.

Even Emmett, who always made me laugh. I can't imagine myself smiling right now, no matter what he says or does.

Even Carlisle, who always tried to help me whether I was hurting physically or emotionally.

Even Esme, who had become a second mother to me. I recognize the care in her eyes as she sees the four of us alive but I still remember how she left Bella and me.

Even Edward, who can read my every thought. He knows every vile thing I've thought about him in the past because I've thought it again at least once today. He has also seen a fraction of what it was like with Bella after he left.

Even Alice, who I had told my newest secrets to. It feels wrong how much she knows about the past months, she may have been the first to come back but she still left.

I can't stand to look at him. I haven't even uttered his name since he abandoned me. Since he never said goodbye. Since his absence caused nightmares which were only a little less haunting than my experience with the Volturi. His eyes are on me while mine are looking anywhere else. He's here. Jasper came back.

While time had slowed for me I realized everyone had approached us. Or maybe we had gotten closer to them. Either way Esme's cold arms wrapping around my waist brings me back to reality.

"Thank you." she murmured into my ear. She pulled away immediately, I think she could feel how quickly I tensed after the touch. As if Esme realized this was not a happy coming home for me. I assume it was her maternal instincts that helped her see what this meant for me versus Bella and Edward. I watched as she moved towards them in that order.

Carlisle said his quick thanks to us, mentioning he owes us one. If I'm being honest this is basic payback for all of the times he has had to treat Bella or me for a small injury. Either way after Esme had said her thanks we exited the airport. In the parking lot I only saw two vehicles.

I watch as Carlisle and Esme walk towards one car, Alice following after. Emmett and Rosalie stand by the other. Edwards walks towards Carlisle's car but Esme gives him a look.

"She feels awful."

"She should."

"Let her make amends. Alice and Jasper will come with us."

Well, that makes my choice easier. I'm stuck in a car with Rosalie making a sincere apology for the first time in who knows how many years. I walk towards Emmett, he opens the back door of the car for me. Bella takes the middle seat and Edward sits on the other side. The girl is about to fall asleep, she leans on my shoulder forcing her eyes open while she buckles herself in.