Chapter Two

New School, Same Routine

"Please, please, can I transfer to the school on the reservation, Mom?" I beg her once more, packing my bag in preparation for the long day ahead.

"Why would you want to go there? You met one person who goes there! Not to mention I suspect not only does Forks contain the supernatural, but La Push too." Mrs. Parkes rejects her daughter's request for a second time that day.

"And at Forks I don't know a single person, supernatural or not!"

"Honey, did we accidentally skip the lesson on how dangerous all monsters are, not just the specific creatures we focus on?" Mr. Parkes asks his wife, sitting down at the kitchen table.

I quickly answer before my mom can make a comment. "This whole family business of monster hunting really backfired on you guys. You didn't teach me to fear monsters, you taught me to fight them. As well I've learned not all monsters are 'bad,' like the witch I met."

"This argument is useless. You're going to Forks High School, along with your brother. No monsters." my father dismisses the new point brought up.

"Please, you think sending me to a school with Milo is going to keep me away from monsters? Milo's more dog than person, I think I'd be better off with werewolves."

"Hey! We talked about comparing your brother to things which aren't human! You cannot call him a rat, a dog, or a witch with a b! Both of you may act like animals, but I gave birth to two humans." Mrs. Parkes scolds.

"Are you sure we're still human, maybe Milo was cursed by an evil witch, or an extremely boring demon possessed me on a hunt."

"The demon would explain your attitude. Neither of you have been possessed, cursed, or turned by monsters! Now get to school!" she urges her daughter out of the house, proceeding to call for her son to leave as well.

"Gee, Mom, I'll miss you too." I roll my eyes.

I unlock my car, throwing my backpack in the backseat. A moment later my little brother bounds down the front steps, running to the car as if he expects I would leave without him.

"Come on, Vae, we gotta get there early! I have no idea where any of my classes are!" Milo attempts to speak through his labored breathing, somehow his speech sounded as comprehensible as usual.

"We only lived in Houston for two years, don't tell me you already forgot the routine of rotating around the country every six months! It's a nice day in March, the perfect way to enter during the middle of the semester!"

"No day is the perfect day to transfer at the beginning of March. We're the weird new kids."

"I hope you haven't forgotten this school is insanely small. We're probably the newest faces they've seen in a while. Which means we're the weirdest faces they've seen in a while." I tease.

"Just drive." he scoffs, learning back in the passenger seat.

:::

"Here are your schedules Mr. and Ms. Parkes. I trust you'll be able to locate your classrooms easily as the school is relatively small. If not there is a map attached, and I'm sure students will be ready and willing to help you find your way." the secretary at the main office explains.

"Thank you," I quickly glance at the nameplate above her desk. "Ms. Cope. Is there anything else we need or are we all set for our first day?"

"Just one more thing. I need each of you to ask each of your teachers to sign this little slip in order to ensure you make it to all of your classes alright. Just bring it back here at the end of the day."

"Alright, great! Thanks for all your help!" Milo grins, taking the slip from her hand and heading out of the room.

"Thank you, have a good day." I smile, taking the slip from her hand. I take a deep breath, trying to control my nerves. I look down at my schedule, spotting my locker number and combination. I opt to look for my locker in case I am not allowed to carry my backpack to class.

Everything seems easy enough, my locker is number fifty-two meaning it's somewhere to the right of the main office. I guess I was too focused on reading the numbers of the lockers because all I felt was a large crash as I ran into another student.

"Omigosh! I'm so sorry!" I yell automatically, falling to the floor, landing on my backside. Thankfully my papers stayed in my hand.

"Are you alright?" I hear a male voice ask from above me. I slowly nod, attempting to gather up enough energy in myself to get up off the floor. I look up to see his arm is outstretched towards me. I gratefully take it as he helps me up. "I'm Mike Newton."

"Nice to meet you. My name is Nevaeh Parkes." I introduce myself. I look back at the lockers, hoping I do not run into another person. Finally! My eyes land on the number fifty-two. I rush over to my locker, waiting to see if Mike has anything else to say.

"Of course you are! I thought you didn't look familiar. Your family just moved here, right? You have a brother going here too?"

"Yep. We moved in yesterday and my brother goes here too. His name is Milo, he's a sophomore." I fiddle with the lock, entering the new combination.

"Cool, cool." Mike comments awkwardly, watching me open my locker. I shove my backpack in my locker, noticing that he is carrying his books. I take out the items I need for Spanish and U.S. History then I close my locker.

"Do you know where Mrs. Goff's Spanish classroom is?" I ask him, hoping he is willing to show me to my first class at least.

"Yeah, it's in the next building over. I'll show you!" he smiles, leading the way towards the exit which would eventually lead to more classrooms. He opens the door, laughing as we're greeted by the pouring rain. "I hope you brought an umbrella with you." Mike comments as he opens his own umbrella over the two of us.