Chapter Twenty-Three

The One Where They're in Italy

So I'm not dead. By the hands of my mother at least. We made it to the airport and the least of my problems have been solved. Alice paid for my ticket and we are now flying to Italy, with my family's knowledge. All we need to worry about is what happens in Volterra. How we will save Edward if we are able to. On the plane Alice updates us on Edward's plans and we adjust our plans, which start at Plan A and go even farther than Plan Z. I think we have what we need.

Me, a super cool human raised monster-hunter. Sure, I couldn't bring any weapons on the plane per the rules of the TSA, but my mom taught me techniques that'll throw a vampire off their rhythm. And Alice promised to raid the security office at our destination before we go to Volterra. If that fails I'm pretty witty so my last words will be cool at least.

Bella, the one person who can save Edward. He's trying to get a pity kill from the Volturi because he thinks she is dead. All he needs to do is see Bella is alive and that'll be the end of it, as long as the Volturi doesn't see him first. Her being the one person Edward can't read the mind of helps and hurts us in the situation. It hurts us because Edward will probably assume Alice is lying if she says Bella is alive. Also he can't hear her thoughts so he can only confirm she's alive through sight. Never mind, the only positive in this situation is for Bella and it's the fact Edward can't read her mind.

Alice, a clairvoyant vampire with infinite amounts of money. If Edward couldn't read minds she could save him on her own. But he can read minds, so we have to pull off this elaborate plan which includes bringing two humans into a vampire hotspot. She can see what the Volturi will decide when Edward approaches them. She can see how Edward plans on ending his immortal life. She can see if we even have a chance. While she can see if we have a chance I doubt she'd tell us if we're going to die.

The plane ride is unbearably long. Alice is kept busy with phone calls and being able to see the future. She tells us anything she sees fit, such as the Volturi denying Edward's request to be killed and every plan Edwards sticks to for more than two minutes. Bella and I switch between sleeping and worrying ourselves sick. I'm not sure if she even sleeps, more like she closes her eyes for a few minutes and starts bouncing in her seat once she sees fit. Meaning for the better part of the plane ride I am sleeping unless Alice or Bella is whispering Edward's plans to me. While Bella's jumpiness usually keeps me awake it eventually begins to feel like rocking. Maybe that's just my sleep deprivation.

I know I want to be well rested when I fight for my life today. I will probably fight for Bella's life today, because she will not die by the hand of the Volturi as long as I am alive. I know she doesn't value her human life very much but I do. I know it's highly unlikely the Volturi will be okay with two humans knowing about their existence.

What will they do if they find out my family knows? What would they do if they found out about the pack? If they're the highest power in the vampire world they must have abilities beyond my imagination. If they have more power than a mind reader and a clairvoyant, what don't they have? Should I back out? I can't. I could never do that. I would never abandon Bella if it was a choice. Even if I could, it's not like it would help.

I have to be positive, believe we will get out of this with all four of us alive. I have to trust Alice and the other Cullens will protect me as much as they are protecting Bella at the moment. That someone will protect me like I protect them.

As long as the flight felt it's over all too soon. While the turbulence made me feel physically ill I know I'm safer on the plane than I'd ever be on land. What awaits us is death. Whether Edward's or our own.

These next events go by quickly. I barely remember anything that was said. All I know is there are no airports in Volterra so Bella and I wait for Alice outside whatever airport we landed at. Alice picks us up in a bright yellow sports car which is not conspicuous in the slightest but it's fast. She's probably driving double or triple the posted speed limit, not that I'm complaining.