entangled in a wet barrier

location: starclan, based off of the prologue of darkness within

Ferncloud: "What if we never make it past that barrier?" Ferncloud wails as she stares at her reflection meddled by the branches weaved within the pool, pacing back and forth. In the distance Leafpool, Firestar, Bluestar, and Tallstar are huddled in discussion. They aren't within earshot but still remain in the vicinity of the pool. Ferncloud notices Leafpool darting glances as its calm surface every few heartbeats.

Foxleap: "We have to!" His voice is grave as he gazes into the sacred pool that is starclan's only connection to the living clans.

Larchkit and Hollykit: "We need to see our littermate Birchfall!" Their premature mewls that'll remain young forever rise in desperation. Larchkit begins kneading the ground underneath him. When the two had first arrived in starclan after their death in the old forest, they'd been jealous of their brother who could grow into a warrior while they only got to view life as a kit. But the envy had faded quickly.

Ferncloud: "It's ok darlings they're safe with their clanmates and the warrior code." Ferncloud strokes her tail along their miniscule heads, reassuring them. But Hollykit still remains restless.

Hollykit: "What about Dovewing? Didn't she possess powers that could hear beyond its normal range." Hollykit fidgets and almost topples over the edge of the pool. Ferncloud hastily rushes forward and guides the kit away from its shore.

Icecloud: "You Mouse-brain! Dovewing lost her unusual senses the second we slayed the dark forest and won the battle." Hollykit flinches and recoils, hurt glittering in her eyes while Ferncloud glares at her other daughter.

Hollykit then whips around to see Brindleface approaching them.

Hollykit: "It's your mother, mom!." A glance passes between the two she-cats that the little kit is too young to decipher.

Brindleface: "How could've we entrusted your brother with such a task? How could've we sent him? If we hadn't sent him this would've never happened! Now we don't even know if he's upholding his duties because of that." Brindleface eyes the barrier within the hazy swirl of the pool in distaste while Ferncloud glances at the little crowd by the lake. Ferncloud catches Tallstar's tail slightly twitch and Firestar's ear slightly perk up but she isn't sure if she saw correctly.

Ferncloud sighs: "He really 'loved' Squirrelflight, or had a toxic obsession in other words.". She recalls how she'd exhorted him to be careful when he'd taken Lionblaze, at the time Lionpaw, to windclan territory to fight off the twoleg dog mutts. At the time, the memory of Brindleface's cruel death at the paws of Tigerstar 1.0 for the dog pack had lingered between them like the smell of crowfood. Ashfur's shift in demeanor had occurred in the blink of an eye. One moment he was a wonderful brother and mentor, another he was a cold-blooded murderer who had attempted to murder Firestar and the kits everyone originally believed to be squirrelflights."

At that minute Leafpool strides over to Ferncloud's family with Firestar at her heels.

Leafpool: "Earlier Firestar had batted at the twigs and caused it to ripple. We were thinking we could try clawing through the web of twigs."

Foxleap: "You mean vainly claw at the surface like we're kits?" Foxleap clamps his jaws shut as he realizes he'd said the wrong thing in the heat of the moment."

Ferncloud: "We could try," she brings her paws to her chin in thought. "Moons of repairing nurseries have taught me all I need when it comes to bramble enclosures." As if sensing Hollykit's eagerness to spring into the water, Ferncloud restrains her with her claws sheathed.

Leafpool leaps into the pool and Ferncloud doesn't hesitate to follow, splashing with her. The second Ferncloud surfaces for air, she witnesses Dustpelt joining his kits by the pool's surface. Her pupils don't have the chance to dilate at the handsome tom she calls her own before she dives back under the waters.