Chapter 4

“…Pharrell,” I said as I pointed at my new coach on The Voice. The whole crowd went crazy and started screaming that I could not hear myself think. All I could see was my coach Pharrell stand up with his fist held high. For the first time in long time I started laughing so hard as he did this little dance as he moved towards me. For a second I thought I was going to gain a six pack from the amount of laughter I was producing. If this is him all the time, then I think I made the right decision. Once again he embraced me in a big hug. Even though he is not that tall he still had to bend down a little.

               “Thank you so much,” he said a she let me go, “we are going to make something amazing together.”

               “Okay,” I said as I gave him a firm nod. Pharrell took my hand as he helped me along the steps, even though I felt like running out of there so they wouldn’t see me blush like a red tomato. I felt like on top of the world when I waved at the crowd as I made my way towards the hallway that exited out of the stage.

               Once I finally made it past the screaming crowds, giving a couple of high fives to a couple of the audiences, I ruffled my hand through my hair to try to grasp if what happened back there just happened. I couldn’t even focus on my surroundings, because I was still in shock! I couldn’t hear, see, or focus on anything to a point where I had to lean onto the nearest wall.

               “Congratulations Rachel,” said a fuzzy moving object that seems to be walking towards me, “Now if you please follow me to where your friends and family are waiting for your arrival.”

               Once I finally got everything into focus I got a good picture of the women giving me directions. She was about a head taller than me, most likely from the insanely high and uncomfortable looking red stilettos that she was wearing. Which perfectly matched with her black dress that was way too short I could not even look at it. So I focused on her face that was caked with so much makeup that it made her look very similar to that evil clown I used to have nightmares about when I was a little kid. Seriously if I have to where something like that when I perform we are going to have issues.

               I soon followed her, going to extra strides to her one to try to keep up with her. She led me to this hallway that had more portraits of the coaches. I have seen so many photos of each coach it is kind of getting me uncomfortable.

               “Your family and friends are on the second door to the right,” said cake face with a smile that was teetering on the creepy side. As she left me I was thinking about how I was going to enter to see my grandma and David. Should I just run screaming in while jumping up and down? No too overdone. Should I stroll in there like some confident person with swag that I don’t have. Nope can’t do something if I don’t have it in the first place. Wait. Why am I even thinking about this? Sometimes, no all the time, I always overthink things. It is a habit I want to stop. I should just be me.

               With that in mind I walked up to the glass door where I saw my loved ones and opened the door with probably the goofiest smile ever. I made eye contact with David’s blue eyes. Though maybe a little too long on the eye contact, because the next thing I knew I tripped on one of my shoe laces making me practically make out with the floor. Not my brightest moment I must say. Ha!

               My beloved grandma and boyfriend quickly came to my aid as I mentally face palm myself for being such a klutz.

            “Are you okay Rachel?” asked my grandma who immediately pulled me into her arms. Deep inside I felt that she did it purposely so David wouldn’t be the first to hug me first. Even though she loves David to bits I can tell that they have a friendly competition to get to my heart. Though the problem is that David doesn’t know about this “competition,” but that doesn’t stop my grandmother.