Chapter 2

I lost the coin toss.  Really I mean seriously.  I though David was kidding, because we live in fluffing Chicago. Though that weekend he stayed with me so we can practice my audition song to sing to the producers or whoever those people are that travel the country for auditions for The Voice. Still questions formed in my head on how this is not going to work. First off, how are we supposed to get the money to even fly to Los Angeles if we even make it? It is not like we have enough money to fly me there by myself, let alone both my grandma and I. Not to be cliché, but money doesn’t grow on trees. Plus why would I go there if I am just going to get rejected? Talk about humiliation when I go back to my new school and everyone laughing at me of what a complete fail that was. I can’t just leave in the middle of the school year. Though David was persistent. I swear, it is like I am the only one in the relationship that is logical when it comes to doing things. I guess that is why we work out so well. He gets me loose once and I while and I keep him out of doing something completely stupid.

               My grandma seems to also be on board which is not what I had in mind. She always says that she supports me whatever I do, yet she practically pushed me in the deep end of the idea of auditioning. I think they were more anxious then I was when we got the mail from the television show. She was practically ripping in open while having to what seems like an asthma attack, while David was trying to calm her down by telling her that whatever happens it is going to be alright. Meanwhile I am just standing in the back of the corner wondering whose audition tape was it really for. Me or my grandma.

               “YESSS!!!” yelled my grandma as she started jumping up and down like a kangaroo, “It is about time the world got to hear your beautiful voice.” She soon shoved the letter in my face as I had to adjust my vision. All I could see were the words, “Congratulations,” and I knew that I made it to the blinds.

               “Wha- what! I don’t believe it,” I stuttered as I tried to wrap my brain on what just happened.

               “Well it looks like you are going to LA Rachel!” David said as he wrapped his arms around me. “I am so proud of you.” As he was bending down to give me a kiss-

               “No PDA!” my grandmother screamed that scared the living shiz out of me making us both jump. We can’t get away with anything around my grandma. She probably thinks holding hands in front of her is crossing the lines and we have been dating since we were both sophomores.

               “Wait, but how are we going to get to LA? We don’t have enough money for tickets,” I said as my brain came back to the reality of things.

               “Don’t worry Rach,” David promised, “they gave us three tickets, so you can bring two people for support when you are auditioning.”  He then pulled out three plane tickets to LA out of the envelope that included my invitation to audition for The Voice. I couldn’t believe it. In just a week I will be in LA auditioning on a show I have only seen from the television screen with my grandma. To think that my dreams can come to life in just a short amount of time is such a game changer. “

        You won’t even make it past the blind auditions. You are not even good enough,” I thought, which is probably true. All the people that I have seen on the show are so talented. Probably all of them are most likely more experienced than I am. How can I compete with that? Sometimes I am my own worst enemy and it makes me so fluffing mad.