Chapter 1

It has been months now and I still have trouble registering that they are gone. I still hope that one day will come when I walk home and open the door to my mom’s homemade cooking and my little sister running towards me holding up her new painting she created at school. Though now that is all but false hope. So much has changed in so little time that it was as if the whole world was moving at the speed of light, while I am standing in the center unable to move.

               I quickly pulled out my song book, hoping the lyrics that have been forming in my brain can distract me from the dull voice of the teacher talking about Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo. It is not fair how I already took this class last year. So far a month has gone by and I still feel like an outsider in my new school. Since all I have left now is my grandma she immediately took me in, but with a new house comes a new scenery. And since she lives about 35 minutes from where I used to live, I had no choice but to switch schools. The downside about coming into a new school in the middle of the year is that people talk about you. I felt like the minute I stepped on the school grounds I can see people staring and whispering at me, like they knew what happened. Which was probably true, since the media totally ate up the whole story and basically described me as a sad, helpless little girl (I though was complete bullshiz, since I am 16). Not a good way to start the first day having the whole student body judging you. Even the teachers were like that saying, “Oh you poor girl. If there is anything you need just let me know sweetie.” It took so much willpower not to say, “What I want is for my personal buddle, and unfortunately you are seriously popping it!”

               Once the bell ring I immediately packed up my things to head straight to my locker, but before I could even make it out the door –

               “Rachel Kelly, can you please stay back for a minute,” Ms. Robertson said without even looking up from her computer. I let out a deep sigh as I made my way towards her disorganized desk that could make anyone go crazy. She was still typing away on her computer probably putting in assignments that she was too lazy to put in last week. As I was fantasizing over becoming Darth Vader to choke her to death she finally lifted her head. Sorry I get really impatient when it is that time of the month. Stupid Bloody Mary.

               “How are you feeling?” she asked. Well… so far I have barely made any friends. I transferred to a new school district that is so frightening that I am afraid to even go to the restroom without the fear of getting mugged. Oh yeah, and all the teachers here treat me like some five year old who needs to be babysat 24/7. You do the math. Though that might have been a little too high strung. So I settled for something more uplifting.

               “Okay.”

               “Well that is good. I just want to make sure that you are having a nice transition in fitting right in at Jefferson High,” she said with a smile as fake as her boobs, “have you made any friends yet?”

               “Yeah I have a lot of new friends here.” If you count the music teacher I sit with during lunch that that wasn’t a total lie. I am just saying, the music teacher, Mrs. Dare is the only one who understands me. She treats me like everyone else. Shiz. Which is just how I like it; like everyone else. Even if the students say she is a total female dog she is a really chill person when I hang out with her during lunch. She is practically the only person that can make this place for me bearable.