Chapter 8

I was pacing backstage trying to remember all that Pharrell and Janet taught me. It has been a week and today is the battle rounds. We are towards the last battles to take place. I guess being the two female four chair turns on Team Pharrell going at it can let viewers get excited for this. At least I got more time to practice and to calm down my nerves.

During the past practices Pharrell Williams and Janet Jackson told us to release our inner animal, so that is what I will try to do. After all, the song is about telling off to a guy who broke the singer’s heart. The only way one will come on top Pharrell said is that one of has to show him their true inner animal most. I took a deep breath as the crowd started cheering as the first pair of contestants made their way to the stage.

               “Rachel Kelly,” another executive from the show asked as she tapped on my shoulder, “We need you to get finished getting ready for your performance.”

               I looked down at my outfit. What was wrong with it? I made sure to be fancier for the event by wearing a plain black tee, a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, and my black cons. I even straightened my hair, which practically takes two hours due to my thick long red hair.

               “Is there something wrong with it?” I asked her.

               “Nothing is uh- wrong,” she hesitated with a fake smile, “It is just that wouldn’t you want to try something different to match this special occasion?”

I guess it is reasonable, and I should get out of my comfort zone once in a while. If America wants to see something different then I guess I will try it. “Um… okay I guess,” I replied. Once I said yes she immediately took my hand and dragged me over to the dressing department. Where she pushed me in and started gesturing to the numerous amounts of clothing that were in stock.

“What do you think of this one?” she asked as she pulled out a blinding pink dress that was way too short for my liking.

               “Nah I don’t want to look like a flamingo sorry,” I said with a sour face.

               “Okay,” she said as she stepped back to rethink her strategy I presume. Then she snapped her fingers. “I got it!” she practically ran to the back of the room and brought back a pair of leather skinny jeans and a tight red shirt that flared out on the bottom half. I was surprised that I actually liked it considering it is not what I am used to. My favorite part of the shirt is that it had a see thorough neckline that gave it that illusion of a strapless shirt while being modest at the same time.

               “I like it,” I said as I looked it over again.”

               “Excellent,” she said as she popped up with excitement, “I will just get a pair of black heels that will really put this look together.”

               “Wait what!” I said alarmed. There was no way I will where those deadly things on my feet. “I can’t wear heels.”

               “Sure you can,” she said as she took my arm again to drag me to possibly my doom, “It will take some practice and getting used to but-“