k.th

You would sell your soul to Satan if that's what it takes to get your hands on the last signed copy of the latest book released by your favorite author. But it wasn't Satan who had that piece, it was a very handsome man standing before you. And as luck would have it, you both reached for it at exactly the same time. Actually he was a teeny tiny bit faster, but you would never admit that.

Your face fell at the possibility of losing the signed copy to someone forever but you aren't someone who goes down without a fight. And fight you did.

"Hey, even though we came here at the same time, I grabbed it first," You said.

"No way, it was me who saw it first," He replied and his deep voice sent chills down your spine.

"So what? I am in the shop since 5 o' clock."

"And I had plans to visit this book store since yesterday."

"And I have visited every damn store out there in the whole city."

"I was ready to get my hands on it since the day it was released."

"You know what? I was ready to get my hands on it since the day the author said that she is working on something new," You smirked.

"Whoa!" He seemed a bit taken aback, "That was like two years ago."

"Exactly! So who is the real winner here? Hm? Give the book back," You said.

He scoffed, "That doesn't change the fact that I was here first. Sorry, but no will do."

"Yah! How can you jus-"

"Excuse me Ma'am, Sir, may I help you with something?" A salesgirl cut you off.

"Ah ye- I mean no, it's fine. Thank you," You replied, turning around to face her.

"Oh that's okay. But could you please not talk loudly? The other customers are getting disturbed," She informed you.  A slight blush made its way to your cheeks. In your frenzy you almost forgot that you are in a public place.

"I-I'm sorry, I forgot for a moment. This won't happen again," You bowed as an apology.

"It's alright Ma'am. Please look out for one of us if you need some help," She replied, going on her way.

You groaned, internally of course, and turned back to be met with the most excruciating sight ever. You guessed it right, there was no man and no signed copy of that much awaited book of yours. Obviously, why would he even think of giving up the golden chance to grab the book and flee while you were distracted? Suddenly you felt like breaking down right then and there. The huge grin that was on your lips when you had entered the book store had flipped and now you could only wait till more stocks of the new book are brought in. And as always you will have to settle with a regular one.

You made your way deeper into the store and grabbed some promising books from the shelves that were going to keep you company for a fortnight, at the very least. You had to wait a bit at the billing counter but you didn't mind the wait. Even though you were excited for the books you just bought, your spirits were still down from your loss.

You paid for your purchase and were about to leave when one of the employees stopped you. He rushed behind you and gave you a paper bag.

"What is this?" You asked curiously looking at its contents. There was something wrapped in brown paper. You had enough experience to say that it was a book with over a few hundred pages at least. It didn't take a genius to know about the contents. Obviously, someone won't buy perfume in a book shop. A smile made its way to your lips.

"We were instructed to give this to you, someone left this for you."

"Someone left this for me? Are you sure it is not a mistaken case of identity?"

"No Ma'am. They were very particular. Looks like you got yourself a secret admirer."

"Secret admirer?" You laughed, "I guess not. But thanks for giving this to me. The person who bought this for me is a nice person. Tell them I appreciate it if you ever happen to see them again."

You were more curious about what book that unknown person had chosen for you than their identity. If it really is some secret admirer, and you end up liking the book, you will surely date them. It's very rare to find someone who understands your love of books and you won't take a chance there. But then you realized you still have a soulmate to find. You would never go around from person to person when there was someone who was literally made for you.

You discarded your work clothes and snuggled into a comfy pair of pajamas. Coffee in hand and hair tied up in a knot, you took out the book from the bag and unwrapped it. A gasp let out of your mouth. You were glad you were not holding the coffee mug in your hands or else you would have surely spilled it all over. Inside it was the same signed copy of the same book that you thought you lost to that man. 

You broke into a wide smile, holding the book close as if your life depended on it. Actually it did, especially now that you have it. You couldn't get as to why he would give it to you, you know you would have never, but the fact that he did made you respect him a lot.

You snapped a picture of the first page and tweeted it, tagging the author with the post. You were about to dive in when a piece of paper fell from between the pages and caught your attention. You picked it up and read what was written. 

How would you like reading the book together?
Look at your soulmate ring, love. 

Under it was a set of numbers that you could only guess to be his contact number. 

You looked at your right hand, your soulmate ring that was in your ring finger was now crimson in color. It was nothing but a simple golden band around your finger. You knew that it changes to red when you first meet your soulmate and gradually morphs to purple but you had never seen it being red in real life. They say that only the couple get to see the rings in red and now you get what that actually means. You meet your soulmate for the first time only once in your life, after all.

You didn't waste a second calling the said person. He picked it up on the second ring.

"Hello?"

"You little piece of shit! Could you not tell me about my ring the moment you saw it?! And also, I would love to read this book together with you."