18. Three Days

EIGHTEEN THREE DAYS

EIGHTEEN THREE DAYS

◥✥◤

"You can't just wear Oscar de la Renta to Midsummer, it's not worthy," Maude chastised as the girls tried on their dresses in Helena's bedroom, "Plus, the black is a bit much."

"Helena's a bit much," Evie added with a small smile, "Also, the black is perfect, it looks good with her pale ass skin. Seriously, Hels, you need some sun."

"Hey!" Helena gasped, her eyes glued to her reflection in the mirror. "Besides, you say Oscar de la Renta is too much as if Hailey isn't literally wearing Elie Saab, so I refuse to be judged. Besides, as long as we one up Sarah Cameron, I really don't give a shit."

Tanya snorted out a laugh at this, "Okay, fair point, we all look stupid hot. But way to ditch the cute little pastel color scheme, I thought we agreed on pastels!"

"Pastels don't look good on me, I'm too pale," Helena shrugged as she ran her fingers down the tulle layers of her dress. She looked good. Maybe it was self-centered the way her eyes wouldn't leave her own reflection, but that wasn't going to make her stop any time soon.

Hailey came into the room a moment later in her pale gold dress, so light it was almost white. She was tanner than Helena, so it worked for her in a way it wouldn't for her younger sister. There were very few times they got to really dress up on the Cut, so the sisters loved to use this as an opportunity to wear the designer gowns their mother always sends them from California. Running her hands down the dress, she thinks about how much she misses her mother. Still, looking around at her friends, all looking gorgeous in their dresses and glamour, she knows she's anything but lonely.

"Mm," Hailey mutters as she looks over all of the girls, "Yup, we look hot. Hels, I didn't know you were gonna wear the de la Renta, I was looking for that one! Did you take that from my closet?"

"You look better in lighter colors, I was doing you a favor!" the younger exclaimed as she held her hands up in mock surrender. She turns to the other three girls, "Doesn't she?"

"You do, Helena can't pull off pastels," Tanya nodded as she looked over at Hailey, "I like her dress on her more than I would like it on you. Also, that neckline was --"

"Just made for your boobs," Maude cut her off, giving her a nod of approval. When everyone in the room turned to her, she gasped, "What? Is that not what you were gonna say? Why is it only weird when I say it? I know everyone was thinking it!"

All of them burst into fits of giggles, interrupted only by a knock on the door. Moments later, Helena's dad peeks his head into the room, saying, "Girls, can I steal Helena and Hailey away for a moment?"

"We'll be back," Hailey tells the three girls, grabbing her sister by the wrist as the two of them walk downstairs behind their father. Her dress swishes around her heels, running across the ground since she hasn't put her shoes on yet. She wonders what her father wants to tell them, but he didn't look upset so frankly, she wasn't too worried. Her gaze was on the hem of her dress as she walked downstairs, focused on not tripping on it.