19. Catch Me Up

NINETEEN CATCH ME UP

◥✥◤

     Midsummer was everything Helena hated about the Kooks, if she were being honest. Aside from the formal dresses and sweltering summer sun, there was nothing more to it than fake smiles and champagne flutes. It was exhausting, really. Her parents paraded her and her sister around so everyone could see how well-off they were doing even though, in reality, they were falling apart at the seams. With the knowledge she had been given earlier about her parents' upcoming divorce, she was bursting with the urge to lash out and spill the ugly truth. However, she held back. She smiled and let her father's friends pinch her cheeks and talk about what a beautiful young woman she's growing into. 

"I think I'm contemplating suicide," Hayley whispers in her ear as the two of them search around for their other friends who are scattered around the party. Helena can see Maude wrapped up in conversation with Kie, but Evie and Tanya are nowhere to be found. "Where the fuck did our friends go?"

"Maude is flirting with Kie," Helena whispers, pointing over to the two girls with a fond smile, "But more importantly, where the fuck is my boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend, that's new," the blond replies with an unreadable expression as she takes a sip from her drink. She doesn't say anything more than that, though, and Helena is thankful. Her eyes scan the scenery, looking for the telltale shaggy blond hair and bowtie. It's downright awful that her boyfriend is a part of the waitstaff, but it's the way things are. Maybe they'll change one day, but for now, she's looking at the staff for the person she wants to see the most.

Right as her eyes lock on JJ, another person blocks her vision. Topper stands in front of her, prohibiting her from getting to the boy across the room. She groans, crossing her arms as she takes a step back. "Can I help you?"

"You're running with Pogues, I didn't forget the movie night," Topper comments, a disdainful expression on his face. "You're better than that, Helena, you know it, but you've chosen your place and I frankly don't care that much."

"Then why are you bothering me?" she bites back, picking at her nails boredly. All she wants is a kiss from her boyfriend, not whatever this bullshit is. She's distinctly aware of not only JJ, but all of her friends around the room staring at them. Topper takes a step closer to her and she reaches out, pushing her hand against his chest with light pressure. Not enough to push, but enough to threaten. It's a warning, at best.

He leans in, his voice dropping to a low whisper, "Tell your boy's buddy, John B, to quit sniffing around my girlfriend, okay? I'm not fucking around, she's mine and he knows it."

"No girl belongs to you, you massive dickwad," Helena finally pushes back against his chest, taking another step to get in his face. "And I am not your goddamn messenger. If you have a problem with John B, bring it up with him yourself. I'm not a pipeline to the Pogues nor am I a complaint box. Fuck off somewhere else, please, Topper, I just want to talk to my boyfriend."