11. Bechdel Test

ELEVEN BECHDEL TEST

ELEVEN BECHDEL TEST

◥✥◤

Helena had been absolutely self-absorbed lately, but in her defense, her sister had been actively trying to ruin her life. However, it seemed that was about to change. The next time the five of them hung out, crowded around a table at The Wreck, everyone was strangely silent about JJ Maybank and none of them dared to look Helena in the eye.

After a few moments of awkward conversation, featuring Tanya and Hailey's side-eyes and Maude stuffing french fries in her mouth, Helena had enough, "You guys don't have to walk on eggshells around me, I'm sure Hailey's already told you that JJ and I are still seeing each other. Evie, come on, you won't even look at me."

The girl looked up from her phone that she had been tapping at ever since they sat down, "Oh, shit, no I'm not ignoring you, I promise, I was just texting Sarah--"

"Cameron?" Tanya asked with a raised eyebrow, "Why would you ever talk to her? She's made it very clear that she does not like us. Didn't she literally say we acted like a cult-like last year?"

Evie's cheeks were a quiet pink under her light brown skin as she turned off her phone and put it in her pocket, "You guys know our parents are friends. Anyway, she just invited me to a party tonight. I think she said you guys could come considering she said "I know you don't go anywhere without your leader so you can bring the rest of them, I guess," so I think that's a yes."

"Why would we want to go to Sarah Cameron's party? So we can watch her and Topper get white trash wasted?" Tanya asked, tossing her braids over her shoulder. "I mean, I'll put up with her at boneyard parties, but something about partying on a plantation doesn't sit right with me."

"T, you live on a former plantation," Hailey commented with a bored tone, but Helena could see the girl was hiding her smile. They had yet to discuss anything further about what had been said the previous night, but Helena didn't mind keeping it that way.

Breaking into the conversation, Helena asked, "I'm curious which one she thinks is the leader, did she mention names?"

"Nope," Evie mused, "So we will never know. Also, Hails, it's different with Tanya because then it's like... taking the power back, you know?"

Hailey scoffed, an amazed smile on her face as she shook her head, "No, but I really don't think Sarah Cameron is thinking too hard about getting drunk on a former plantation so why should we? Besides, this is North Carolina, this whole fucking island was probably a plantation at one point."

The dark-skinned girl shrugged, considering the older girl's words as she squinted at her before finally admitting, "Okay, you're probably right, but let's circle back: Why do we wanna hang out with Sarah Cameron?"