08. You're A Horrible Actress

EIGHT YOU'RE A HORRIBLE ACTRESS

◥✥◤

Part of Helena didn't want to even entertain the idea of breaking up with JJ. He had been a part of her for so long it felt weird to think of a life that didn't have him in it. She texted JJ asking where he was and saying that they needed to talk as she headed towards her Jeep with Hailey in tow. The girl's expression was neutral even as the younger had a constant death glare focused on her.

"The things I do for you," Helena scoffed as they began driving to the docks where JJ was. He was probably smoking with Pope, knowing him. Helena laughed to herself as she remembered the times her and JJ would get high together. No more of that, she supposes. God, was she emotionally attached to him or something? Why did this feel harder than it had been the first time around? Maybe it was because she was the one doing it and not the other way around. It still had hurt pretty fucking bad the first time. Having your first boyfriend who you had been with for two years tell you he didn't even recognize who you were anymore was kind of a sucker punch to the gut. Helena would like to have thought that she's changed since then, but she knew she hadn't. She was still the same stuck-up bitch JJ had broken up with last year. Still, this should be easy.

"You'll thank me one day when you settle down with a nice guy who actually cares about you instead of just fucking you on the DL," Hailey muttered as she picked at her nails, her eyes glued outside the window as she avoided her younger sister's gaze.

Helena rolled her eyes as they pulled up to the docks where JJ was chatting with Pope with a joint in his hand. The girl sighed as she motioned for her sister to stay in the car. Hailey just shrugged and rolled down the windows, placing her sunglasses low on her nose. Carefully, Helena stepped out of the Jeep, thankful she had worn sneakers for the uneven terrain. Still, they were white sneakers which was kind of a bust since they were probably about to be covered in dirt. God, she hated the Cut.

"Hels, what's up?" JJ asked, his brow furrowed as the girl walked up to him. After the previous night, things felt better with him which made what she had to do just that much worse.

She just greeted JJ with a kiss on the cheek as she cupped his cheeks. Immediately the boy wrapped his arms around her waist and for a moment, things felt like they had been. Like they had been before things went to shit.

JJ's eyes were focused on Hailey sitting passenger seat in the Jeep for a moment before he turned back to Helena with a furrowed brow. "What's going on?"

Helena sighed before leaning up to whisper in his ear, "Hailey thinks I'm here to break things off. Look sad, like I'm telling you we can't hook up anymore. She's convinced you're horrible for me."