Chapter 43 - NEWTs & Inevitable Death

The dreadfully exhausting yet anticipated day had arrived. Sitting on a tiny wooden chair staring at the ticking clock that reminded me that time would eventually run out, only reminded me of all the people and places I would lose sooner or later instead of helping me focus on the exam neatly placed on my desk.

It had been three or four days since my birthday; since my aunt's letter, which I could only take as a written will and solemn farewell, had arrived to my chambers. I had not heard nor received anything from my aunt, her assistant or from anyone at the Ministry and not even a word from Dumbledore meaning that nothing dreadful had taken place, or so I hoped. Tom had been the most excellent shoulder to cry on and, surprisingly, he had made it his responsibility to distract myself from the grief presenting itself in my soul before the necessary time.

The sunlight peaking in through the large glass window located in the back left of the room snapped me out of my daze. Seven in the morning, I had been taking my Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test since that time. Right this moment, afternoon was approaching and none of the seventh year pupils choosing to partake in this gruesome experience had finished their exams.

I had been studying, even overworking myself, for the NEWTs since I stepped foot into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I needed Os; Outstanding, on all of my NEWTs if I wanted to graduate Hogwarts with the achievements I had made every effort to obtain and especially if I wanted to become an Auror. Furthermore, at one point, I cared more for my scores because I was aiming to surpass a certain Slytherin; but, here and now, I only wanted to make my aunt and myself proud. Of course, a small childish yet high-reaching part of me still longed to have bragging rights for the rest of Tom and I's lives.

Using my recently bought quill and ink, I wrote everything I had ever heard, memorized, said and learned throughout my years at the magical institution until my hand felt numb and the parchment was full of information I did not even remember scribbling on it. Obviously, the Defense Against the Dark Arts and Divination exams were considerably simple for me considering how far ahead I truly was in these subjects. I quickly completed the Charms, Transfiguration and Potions sections as well, knowing my score would reflect how many capabilities I have. Despite this, the Herbology exam letters were jumbling around in my brain and the concepts I had barely grasped were staring at me, probably laughing at me if an exam were able to mock its taker. I had even chosen to finalize the Muggle Studies piece of my NEWTs, but I could not escape Herbology even if I apparated.

As I replayed Professor Beery's teachings, Tom's tutoring sessions from long ago, and even Septimus' jokes, I tried to answer all the questions as fast as humanly possible. Fortunately, the questions began getting easier as the clock kept ticking. Luck was, temporarily at least, on my side. In the blink of an eye, I had finished the last NEWT officially marking the end of the rigorous and draining testing day.

Almost falling asleep on the chair, I dozed off once more and fully forgot the fact that I could leave the large room filled with many stressed students once I had finished my exams. I rose from my seat and handed my exam to the Professors waiting with anticipation for everyone to culminate their writing.

Nearly running out of the space filled with desks and anxious students being haunted by the sounds of quills scribbling and the agonizing "tick tock tick tock" of the timekeeper, I tried to find Tom and Abraxas. I had told them both to meet with me after the NEWTs right behind the entrance door because after the exams I wanted to spend the day with them, even if the two Slytherins were not still in love with the idea of the other. Looking around the empty area, I saw none of them anywhere near the area. I knew Abraxas was a very forgetful bloke, but Tom would remember to wait exactly where I told him to. I did not see if my favorite Malfoy was still taking his tests, but I knew Tom was done an hour before I was. Unsurprisingly, Tom Riddle was a good test taker and had completed his NEWTs with tremendous ease.