Chapter 22 - The Talk & A Date to the Yule Ball

Two weeks had passed. Two weeks since our stunt at the Restricted Section, which we did not get caught for. Whoever was present that night left before they saw us and we successfully escaped with all of the necessary books. Two weeks had passed since I found out the missing information concerning Riddle's rise to power. Two weeks since I called Riddle by his name. Two weeks since I had the best kiss of my life.

Every time I remember what took place that night, I would feel the nostalgic electricity and warmth surging through my lips. I always despised Tom Riddle until now, but was my hatred in vain? Was he deserving of such misjudgment and alienation from others, including myself?

In these two weeks, Riddle had made it a point to avoid me at all costs. At first, I understood and had found it sort of reasonable. But by now, I felt that he was acting like a typical teenager that couldn't come to terms with their feelings even if their life depended on it. I needed to confront him before he resumed whatever plans he had, whether I knew about them or not.

Also, I had made it a point to speak nothing of Riddle in Abraxas' presence. If I even hinted at the possibility that such an event took place, Abraxas would have killed Riddle or he would have informed the whole school and both were things I would not want to happen.

Before confronting Riddle, I'd need to write another letter to my aunt. Time had flown by and it was already the beginning of December, which meant the Yule Ball and the holidays were fast approaching.

Dear Aunt,

As always, I hope everything is well at the manor and at the Ministry. I am writing to let you know that the Yule Ball shall be taking place two weeks from now. I would appreciate it if you were to send me the best dress money can buy, as soon as possible. Lastly, you have not informed me whether I shall or shall not be returning to the manor for the holidays. Please reply soon.

Sincerely,

Athena Alastair

Usually, I would spend the holidays alone at the manor, but since she had not told me if I was welcomed back home for this holiday season I had to assume that was not the case until confirmed otherwise. Also, I was going to the Yule Ball alone, but I still wanted to be the best looking student there. It was my last year after all! I gave the letter to Blair and exited my chamber.

I made my way to the common room, mentally preparing myself to confront Riddle. As soon as I arrived, I saw him sitting by the fireplace once again.

Instead of quietly heading towards him or speaking to him gently from a distance, I said with annoyance in my voice, "Riddle, we need to talk."

"Oh so we're back to Riddle now?", he replied sarcastically with a smirk plastered on his captivating face.

"I don't have time for games, you know we have unfinished business.", I retorted.

I expected him to leave, but instead he said, "That we do, but we cannot discuss those matters here."

I did not understand why we could not talk about a kiss in a common room that was only populated by us, but he was always accustomed to making everything more difficult and mysterious than it needed to be.

My heart started speeding up quickly but I managed to reply, "I don't care if you're going to say it was 'a mistake' and that it shouldn't have and won't happen again; but I think addressing the elephant in the room is a pretty good idea."

He quietly laughed to himself and stood up, he was walking in my direction. Once he made his way towards me, I felt his penetrating gaze on my slim frame and his hand grabbing my shoulder firmly.

His eyes left my body and met my lips when his threatening voice said, "Never say those words again, what happened between us could only be classified as extremely reckless, absurd and even wrong to an extent, but not a mistake. I did it purposefully and I would do it again."

I could not come to terms with the fact that we were indirectly confessing our conflicting and rapidly blossoming feelings for one another when months ago I would have happily punched him and I know he would have probably killed me without remorse. It was just a kiss, but for me the kiss symbolized much more than a reckless action for the sake of the teenage years.

My eyes blinked a few times trying to process his words when I replied, "If this is what you believe, what are you going to do about it?".

I was testing him because Riddle could not have meant what he said, he was merely trying to get a reaction out of me. There was possibly no way that he would kiss me again or that he would even involve me in any of his future plans.

Before I could come up with more thoughts and excuses to disregard my growing feelings for the young Head Boy, he delicately placed his hand on my cheek and, before I could do anything about it, he carefully placed his lips on mine once more.

This time, our kiss was not as fiery or passionate, instead it was more sweet, delicate and heartfelt. He kissed me very softly, as if I was about to break into tiny crystal pieces. Much to my dismay, this kiss did not last nearly as long. It was simply a peck that had gone on for what I felt to be years. Soon, our lips parted ways and we reopened our eyes.

After sighing to himself he said, "This is what I am doing about it, any complaints?"

I met his eyes once more, placed my hands in his and quietly replied, "No problem at all Riddle, just hope I won't be ignored for two more weeks."

To this, I only received a laugh and a tight grip on my hands.

We looked at each other, in our comfortable silence of course; and he told me the craziest remark he has ever said before, "Let me take you to the Yule Ball with me."

I stood there frozen in place for a bloody long time, I think I was starting to worry him. I could not find the words to respond to his remark, so I simply nodded a quick yes and wrapped my arms around him.

Now, he was the one frozen in place. His body went rigid and he did not react, it is as if he had never been hugged before, which pained me to think about. I stayed there, even if he did not hug me back it would let him know I was not going anywhere. Soon, I was ready to let go when I felt two arms uncomfortably and loosely wrap themselves around my small waist. Tom Riddle, probably fighting himself, had actually hugged me back.

I appreciated it greatly, I knew this was new to him and he made an effort. He laid his head on the crook of my neck and his embrace tightened greatly. We embraced each other as if it were the last time we would be able to hug anyone, but in a sense, it felt even better than our two kisses or anything I had previously felt because this meant something to him as well. I knew I was safe in his arms. I don't know why, but I just knew. I was wrapped in the arms of the cold and notorious Tom Riddle; a man who was currently contemplating on murdering half our school and taking over the wizarding world, yet for the first time I felt at home.

Now, wait until I tell Abraxas I would be attending the Yule Ball with Riddle, I am never going to hear the end of it.