Ch 7 Section 2

Flashback: Continued...

Dean arrived at Karens and knocked on the door, but got no answer.

Frowning, he knocked again, "Karen, you in there?"

Looking around he quickly picked the lock and entered. He tried the light by the door, but it didn't work so he goes further into the house, up the stairs and into the bedroom. He pushed open the door and saw Karen lying on the floor in a pool of her own blood. Her throat was slit deeply.

He saw the pages from the printer and frowned, "Seriously, what the hell?"

Dean knelt down by Karen's body, noticing bruises on her wrists. He took one wrist in his hand just as a policewoman barged in.

"Freeze!" Behind Dean, two cops have their guns trained on him, "Stay on your knees. Hands where I can see them. Now!" He complied, "Cuff him."

Present: Back with the detectives...

Sheridan sat in an observation room from which he could see Dean handcuffed to a table on one side and Angel handcuffed to her table on the other side.

Ballard entered, "You getting anywhere with them?"

"Not really. Just a lot of wise-ass remarks from the both of them. You?"

"Sam's story matches Angels and Dean's to the last detail."

"Hm." Sheridan stood and retrieved his jacket, "Yeah, well, these three are good. I'll give 'em that."

Ballard followed him out, "If we don't get Sam or Angel to flip we have nothing but a lot of circumstantial evidence."

"We've got Dean at the crime scene with blood on his hands." Sheridan countered, "Juries have convicted for less."

"Yeah, but, I mean, where's the murder weapon? What's the motive?" She motioned, "You talk about reasonable doubt..."

"Diana..." He stopped and turned to touch her face affectionately, "Do you have reasonable doubt?" His hand dropped from her as another cop passed them but he kept talking, "We keep leaning on these three, one of them will tumble. And don't forget about St. Louis. I'm telling you, this Dean guy is our guy."

Ballard frowned as she looked at him sadly, "I know Tony Giles was a friend of yours."

"Yeah, he was." Sheridan frowned as they started walking down the hall again, "He was a good friend."

"And I know you want to clean this mess up quick, but come on. Tony knew a lot of criminal types. I mean, maybe we're just-"

"Criminal types? He was a defense lawyer, for god sakes, of course he knew criminal types."

"Okay." She shook her head, "Alright. Let's get back at 'em."

"No, you know what?" He stopped her, "Let 'em stew in their juices for a bit." As they stopped by a vending machine he gazed down at her, "Come here."

She smiled and obeyed, leaning up so he could kiss her.

In Angel's interrogation room...

Angel frowned as she worked her handcuffs with a bobby pin she retrieved from her hair.

"Dana Shulps, Dana Shulps..." She frowned, "It's gotta be important... Maybe an anagram instead of a name."

In Sam's interrogation room...

Sam pulled a pad of paper and a pen to him and wrote 'DANA SHULPS' in block letters, frowning in thought.