Chapter 8.2

The carole continued without pause. Enyalius stepped into the dance like he had done it a hundred times. Which he probably had.

"You're treading dangerous waters," Enyalius threatened. "Why are you so obsessively persistent?"

"I heard there was going to be trouble," Vatra replied coolly. She turned her head slightly, already eye-to-eye with the god, though she felt much taller than him. "I was compelled to intervene."

Enyalius scoffed. "I wouldn't cause problems with people I enjoy the company of. You heard wrong."

"My sources are never wrong," Vatra said.

"Ah," Enyalius started, "you're the one that's been following around restless gods. Since I've been staying quiet, you've become bored, have you? Taking up the sword and killing other gods... I can't say I'm surprised it's you. My father was always secretly impressed with you after you nearly cut him down. I'm a bit more difficult to impress, especially weighing in our other encounters since that day on the beach."

Vatra's neck nearly snapped as she turned her head fully to him. Her left arm braced against the grip of the other dancer, stretching to the point before she'd have to let him go. "I give them a choice to get back in line. The more trouble they stir up, the more problems they're going to cause. They remind me of you. All of them are arrogant and naive to think there's no consequences. One day you're all going to cause a problem too big to fix." Her voice was a harsh whisper.

"I assume your friend is here somewhere? The two of you dealing out justice... that's a pair I wouldn't want to get in the way of." Enyalius looked around outside of the circle before allowing his attention back on Vatra's face.

She was not amused. "You talk so loud I'm surprised you haven't gotten yourself into trouble."

Shrugging, Enyalius had his hands freed and clapped along with everyone else. "I know who can understand me here. I'm surprised you don't use your free time for something more and learn another language. French is quite romantic." He grabbed Vatra's hand as the dancers started moving left to right once more.

"I know the languages I know, we'll leave it at that," Vatra said. 

"You're so uptight." Enyalius laughed. "Just try to kill me already and stop playing around."

Doubt crept over Vatra. He was being too carefree.

What could he possibly be up to? Was my source wrong?

She had been so involved in her thoughts, Vatra hadn't noticed the dancers broke the carole. Her left hand dropped free, but Enyalius still had his cold fingers laced with hers.

They stood amongst the chattering crowd like strangers as someone to the far side made an announcement.

"What's he saying?" Vatra leaned to Enyalius, still holding her doubts about him. She saw her hand in his and yanked her fingers free. "You should wear gloves or something."

"They're having the candles and torches removed," Enyalius replied.

"Why would they do that?"

Shaking his head, Enyalius slapped a hand to Vatra's shoulder. "A performance. If you're so worried about me causing problems, I encourage you to join me at the wall. Your odd friend can join us, too."

Vatra followed Enyalius with hesitation. She caught the eye of Spyro and motioned for him to join them. An equal uncertainty crossed his features momentarily, but he hastened in step and met them at the wall.

The three of them stood near a woman Vatra hadn't met before, though it was clear Enyalius knew her. They exchanged a hushed and brief conversation before the room started to darken.