Chapter 22.2

Standing in the small privacy changing room, Vatra contemplated leaving the gods to their own devices. They'd gotten themselves into their own mess, they could get themselves out.

    But, I also get to have a good fight. Isn't this the bit of trouble I was hoping for? Vatra clutched her folded jumpsuit and sheathed godkillers in one hand and held her boots in the other. She shouldered aside the pale curtain and strode out into the locker room for the fighting arena.

Walking across the white tiled floors, Vatra would normally cringe at the thought of being barefoot in such a room. But, she was bound to be covered in much worse than dirt and grime. Her toes curled at the mere thought.

    Why am I so eager for this fight?

    Even from inside the locker room, the announcer over the speakers echoed through the walls. There was a fight currently going on, and by the sound of it, the fight was bloody and brutal.

    Vatra felt a rush of excitement as she shoved her belongings into the locker assigned to her.

     "This is humiliating." Hisato's voice interrupted Vatra's thoughts about the fight.

    Locking away her personal effects, Vatra turned and immediately stifled a chuckle. She drew a gaze up and down Hisato, noting the particularly short black shorts they'd given him to wear. It wasn't much better than her own black sports bra and shorts she'd been handed, however.

"Wow, those are... tight," Vatra said.

Hisato folded his arms. "Vatra. Vatra!"

"Huh?" Vatra shook her head and blinked, not realizing she'd been unfocused from what he was saying.

"I know you're not interested in sex, but the way you're staring at me right now has me wondering if you're thinking about something R-rated," Hisato said.

"Not at all. Well, not really." Vatra giggled and stepped away from the locker. "I just didn't realize how really muscular you were. You're always showing off your arms, but you have abs, too!" Vatra flexed her own bicep and prodded the slightly defined muscle.

Hisato laughed and shook his head. "This is demeaning, and all for those idiotic gods. They should have just listened to the plan."

"Ah, come on. It's just a little fight. I know you can fight," Vatra said. She raised a brow after a moment. "You can still fight, right? Those muscles aren't just for show?"

"Of course I can," Hisato shot. "It's just that I don't enjoy getting punched in the face. I really don't get why you're excited to get the shit beat out of you."

Vatra gasped. "Who said I'm going to be the one to lose the fight? With you as my partner, I think we're pretty well off. Remember, I have trained with the best over the centuries," she said.

"And yet why do I recall you dying so much?" Hisato asked.

"Why do you sound like Spyro? I'm pretty sure I've heard him say that once or twice before," Vatra grumbled. She stomped past Hisato and headed for the locker room door. Rasping her knuckles along the door, Vatra signaled to whoever had been posted outside that they were done.

A rush of cold air blasted across Vatra's skin with enough force to throw her braid over her shoulder. She shivered.

Lorenzo stepped away from the open door, marveling at Vatra and Hisato like he was looking at two, prized animals. "My fighters," he said with a glint in his eyes. In one of his scarred fists, he held a roll of gauze and tape.

"Oh, brother," Vatra grumbled. She was a little disappointed they weren't going to be getting weapons.

But, a fight is a fight.