Chapter 9.2

A bushel of tiger blooms fidgeted to Vatra's right. She disregarded the usually intimidating movements of the plant as the bright orange petals expanded to reveal teeth-like thorns. Stems rattled, and the plants moved closer to her heels. The juvenile saplings crunched under Revna's boot when she stomped on the tiger blooms. A hissing cry drew Vatra's gaze to the black sap oozing out from beneath Revna's foot.

"Thanks," Vatra said in a sheepish whisper. "I've just never been so happy to see my ship before," she added, drawing her attention back to the clearing.

"That would have had you down for the rest of the day." Revna nodded to the tiger blooms. "It probably would've made you pretty mad to be taken out by a poisonous plant after killing that lurker."

Enyalius didn't take care to suppress a laugh. "Oh, yes. We wouldn't want her to be mad."

Snapping her head up to meet Enyalius' eyes, Vatra narrowed her own at him. "Be happy we now have a way off this planet."

"I'm delighted." Enyalius simpered. "I've always wanted to fly on the famed Agkistrodon. A dream come true, really."

"You test me," Vatra growled. She continued on, walking a cautious arc around the campfire.

There was no sign of anyone close by, and the boarding ramp of the ship was drawn up. Vatra shuffled over to the open hatch. Leaning over the hole in the ground, she squinted into the darkness. A faint light burned at the bottom.

"Are you in there, Spy?" Vatra called. She'd cupped her hands around her mouth, forcing her words to echo. The question repeated back to her, over and over, until it faded into the depths of the ground.

A few moments passed, and the light grew brighter. Spyro appeared at the bottom of the ladder, pointing a flashlight up. Vatra shielded her eyes. Immediately, Spyro directed the beam toward the wall beside him.

"I saw you crash," Spyro said. "We were going to regroup and come looking for you soon."

"Not soon enough!" Enyalius cried out, leaning over Vatra.

Pushing the god back with her elbow, Vatra shook her head. "What do you mean by 'we'?" she questioned Spyro.

"Come down here," Spyro replied. "I do not like shouting up this ladder."

Vatra didn't need more convincing. She turned and placed her boot on the first rung of the ladder. Hollow taps of her soles thudding along each rung echoed in the tunnel beneath her. Jumping down to the surprisingly solid floor, Vatra glanced up and saw the others following.

"You do not hide your face anymore." Spyro nodded to the outline of Enyalius descending towards them. "And he has not killed you."

"No," Vatra replied sharply. "It seems Enyalius has had his manhood revoked."

Spyro raised a brow. "How did you-"

"Ew, no," Vatra interrupted. She rolled her eyes at the disturbing thought. "I meant he's harmless now."

The soft thumps of boots on packed dirt drew Vatra's attention to where Revna and Enyalius stood. The latter cracked his back and blew air loudly from his nose.

"Are we going to stand around and talk about me even more? I'm flattered, but for once, I'm more interested in leaving this planet than having my name the topic of conversation," Enyalius said.

The four of them turned to face the tunnel leading beneath the world above. A faint light beckoned them, calling them to travel into the shadows. Vatra could nearly taste the dirt on her tongue the further they passed from the hatch. The heavy scent was thick in the air; it was both metallic and earthy.