Chapter 3.1

Pocarro would have been a sought after world of beauty if it wasn't for the dangerous trek to its luxurious surface. A hidden gem; uncovered only to the few that dared brave the Dead Zone and raiders. Vatra coveted its rich greens and blues as it came into focus, if almost as much as the adrenaline that still coursed through her veins. A brief reminder that she was still alive.

"Why do I feel like you are not really wanting to do this for the payment?" Spyro inquired, his gaze boring holes into the side of her head.

Vatra brushed off his spitting tone. "You're still bitter about our Earth conversation earlier."

"You are deflecting," Spyro said hastily. "I do not like it when you avoid my questions."

"Annoying, isn't it?" Vatra blew air through her nose loudly. "Much like you bringing up the past."

She adjusted the Agkistrodon to break through the atmosphere down to the planet. It wasn't always easy to maneuver from space to stronger gravity. A rough jolt, and they dipped down below a heavy layer of clouds at a quick rate of speed.

"Let's talk about this after we meet with the pirates," Vatra said with a sigh. She looked over to Spyro with a softer look in her eyes. "Sorry, Spy. You know I don't mean to get short with you."

Spyro brushed a thick curl from his face and sat further back against his seat. A small grin had twitched the corners of his mouth. "I do understand this. Let us enjoy the views while we try to find our new companions. The scanners are searching for any ships that recently broke the atmosphere." He tapped the controls in front of him. "Besides us, it looks like there has been nothing in days," Spyro continued.

The Agkistrodon traced the treetops reaching their greenery for the sunlight. Pocarro was mostly of a rainforest variety, with large, swooping trees and an enormous variety of plants and wildlife.

As Vatra watched the wings of their vessel faintly tap the tallest of leaves, she wished she could explore the expanse below them. But, she knew better than that. Because even the most seemingly beautiful of visions held dangerous secrets.

Below them, amidst the thick brush and swooping blankets of vines, lurked beasts that would rip them apart. Even some of the plants themselves were carnivorous, hiding behind beautiful flowers to lure in their prey. She'd seen unsuspecting people fall victim to the traps before. It was another reason Pocarro was so notorious.

Trees split apart below them in a great divide, as if someone dipped their hands into the earth and pulled it apart. Water roared in the ravine that tore through the forest, tumbling and cascading over small waterfalls in brilliant sprays. The river was untainted by any dirt or clay, and even from above the tree line, Vatra could see its bright blue colors.

"Anything yet?" Vatra asked, pulling herself from the daze she'd fallen into while staring at the waters below.

Spyro looked over the controls. "Nothing. We should land and save on fuel. How much time do you wish to wait for them?"

"I'll land at Belltower and hope they're smart enough to end up on the right side of the planet. I gave them twenty-four hours, which gives them two more hours from now. I'm feeling a little generous, though, so maybe we can wait a little longer. It's not like we have anywhere else to be," Vatra said.

"Perhaps we can finish our conversation," Spyro offered.

"Or," Vatra started, "perhaps we can stretch our legs a little at the settlement." She leaned over and elbowed Spyro before sitting back up.

They veered sharply to the left and headed for the only thing inorganic in sight; a faint outline of a dark grey building towering from the green shroud. The closer they approached, the more the shape took form. Hazy edges sharpened into harsh angles. The enormous structure rose from the dark depths of the forest floor, and ended at a pointed peak. At the very top, a brass bell hung in the hollowed out, triangular tip.