1.0: Starting Over

A/N: This story will be based on 1x1 Pilot

Claire sighed as she walked into the airport with her mother on the phone, "Yes mama, I know me being a prosecutor was what we agreed on when I took on all those extra courses." Angela smiled at her and Claire sighed as she shook her head, Angela motioned to the drop off area and Claire nodded at her.

"Claire, why'd you change careers? Forensics is something I thought you found interest in which is why I was okay with the online classes....you didn't switch because of-"

"This has nothing to do with Violet mama, I changed careers because I wanted some change in my life like you suggested and Dr. Brennan has been very kind to me." Claire interrupted and her mother sighed on the other end, Claire knew she was being unfair to her mother but she already had her mind made up.

Claire didn't want to be a forensic pathologist or a forensic psychologist, she had went to law-school and had been a prosecutor for 5 years before switching careers. Claire was young, determined, and in the right place at the right time when she met Dr. Brennan at a convention 2 and a half years ago. Brennan was a forensic anthropologist at the Jeffersonian and had urged Claire to work with her when she found out Claire had a doctorate in forensics as well.

Brennan was finally able to convince her to change careers and she had been working for the Jeffersonian for a year and a half, but her mother and brother were worried about her especially since she hadn't told them about her career change until a month ago. Claire wouldn't say she was a genius, but she was highly intelligent. In her 5 years as a prosecutor, she hadn't lost one case and was able to handle that job as well as get her doctorate in forensic science and psychology. 

"I wasn't talking about your sister, I was talking about Nathan. How are things with him?"

Claire shrugged even if her mother couldn't see her, "I told him I wasn't trying to get into a relationship and he agreed, we only slept together a couple of times mama. If he wanted more then he should've looked for someone else, I've made it clear that settling down for marriage and relationships wasn't what I was looking for."

"Well, how'd the office take it?"

"Who knows, I don't even know if they knew we were sleeping together. The only reason I went back to the office last week was because he said he needed to give me something, he should've known better than to ask me out in front of them." Claire replied, her eyes widen when she saw Angela open her shirt at the man behind the counter. "I gotta go, bye I love you."

"I love you too, call your brother Kenny later."

"We'll see." Claire hung up and went over to Angela, "Angie-"

"Did you two try to talk to him first before flirting?"

They both turned to see Brennan standing there with a raised eyebrow, Claire gave her a small smile. "I was coming over to stop her." Angela smiled before hugging Brennan, "Yes, I did sweetie. Welcome home."

Brennan returned the hug and Claire shook her hand, "How was Guatemala?" They walked towards the exit and Brennan shook her head at them, "I never reduced to flashing my boobs for information while I was there."

"Flash them for fun?" Angela asked and Brenna smiled at her, "I was literally neck deep in a mass grave, not romantic." Claire smiled a bit at that and tensed when she felt footsteps behind her, she cleared her throat. "We're being followed," She whispered and Brennan nodded, "I noticed, wait a bit."

Claire hummed and they continued walking, Angela looked shocked before she started talking. "You know, diving head first in a pit of cadavers is no way to handle a messy break-up."