8.0: Some Things Are Better Left Alone

A/N: Continuation of 1x07 A Man on Death Row

TRIGGER WARNING: UNDERAGE S*X, MURDER, ASSAULT, DEATH ROW

Claire looked up at her office door to see Booth standing there, he smiled as he walked in. "I heard that you were being the ice queen on Amy." Claire shrugged, "She was trying to disrespect me and her whole 'I'm-now-better-than-you' attitude was getting on my nerves."

"And this is why I call you Cee, short for Icy."

"Don't call me that, and stop talking with Kenny. That nickname is dumb."

Booth chuckled and took a seat, "So you put her in her place?"

"Naturally."

"Cee, you're my favorite prosecutor."

"Ex-prosecutor." Claire corrected and Booth smiled, "Still, you're still my favorite and that's not just because you're the best. Thank you, for trying to stop them." Claire blinked at him and shrugged, "So how did your boss take it that Brennan and Ms. Morton want to recheck the remains?"

Booth shook his head, "He's not taking it to well, best we don't talk about it." Claire put down her book, "That bad?"

"He told me if Bones shoots someone again, he hopes it's me."

"That could be counted as a threat."

Booth smiled at her and sighed, "This isn't looking good, is it?" Claire shrugged, "Do you want me to be honest?" Booth chuckled at this, "It's never stopped you before."

"I think with the evidence that we might potentially find, Epps will be let go." Claire answered and Booth frowned, "Based on the fact that there were loose ends?" Claire hummed and picked up her book again, "That, and also due to the fact that he wasn't given a fair trial. Do I believe that he's guilty? Yes I do, but you cannot argue that everything was fair towards Epps. The judge disregarded a piece of evidence that should've been looked at, but because everyone had already assumed Epps was guilty they didn't let it be seen or analyzed."

"So he would've been let free."

"No, I'm just saying that there are parts of his trial that were biased which is why this new evidence that we're finding may let him be set free." Claire replied and she flipped to the next page, "Have the parents been informed?"

Booth sighed and rubbed his face, "Yeah, you can imagine how that went." 

"I can't."

"You're a real comedian Cee." Booth stated and she looked up from her book, "I'm a forensic psychologist and pathologist." Booth leaned back in his chair and smiled, "It was a joke Cee, it's me trying to lighten the mood." Claire went back to her book when there was a knock at her door, she looked up and Brennan standing there, "April Wright's body just arrived."

Claire nodded and stood up, she looked at Booth. "Are you going to stay?" Booth nodded his head, "I need to go grab something from my car, I need to talk to you about something private too."

"You haven't done that already?"

"You're hilarious." Booth answered and walked out with them, he didn't once look at Brennan and waited for her where no one else was. Brennan sighed and looked at Claire, "Is he angry?"

"Frustrated, we're about to let a man he put away go free." Claire answered as she walked over to him, "What is it?" Booth sighed and put his hands in his pockets, "That pubic hair, I think it's from the family's lawyer." Claire frowned at this, "You think their lawyer had sex with a 17 year old girl?" Booth gave a nod, "Yeah, I do. And that makes him look like a suspect." Claire hummed at this and shrugged, "Well, if you still have the hair then bring him into your station. Go all FBI on him or whatever it is you do." Booth smiled at this and shook his head, "You really are a comedian, I already did that after getting chewed out by my boss. I even got to search him, I'll be back."